• Saturday 8th August 8pm-10:30pm is the Forum Summer PRIDE virtual event! Everyone is welcome so please come along and join in the party!! More details HERE

Juvenile boars no longer getting along ?

Michellesalvino

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have a total of 4 boars, living in pairs. One of these pairs no longer gets along because one of them (Walter) has been getting quite feisty lately and chasing around Solomon, he also will try to take over what he is eating and I also believe he nips at Solomon.. I have separated them so far.. they’re only about 8 weeks old so I am wondering if it is just because they’re hitting “puberty” like I have read? Do you think I will be able to introduce them again once they are older? I feel so bad because they’re being housed alone at the moment but I don’t want my piggies to be stressed out.. any advice?

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a total of 4 boars, living in pairs. One of these pairs no longer gets along because one of them (Walter) has been getting quite feisty lately and chasing around Solomon, he also will try to take over what he is eating and I also believe he nips at Solomon.. I have separated them so far.. they’re only about 8 weeks old so I am wondering if it is just because they’re hitting “puberty” like I have read? Do you think I will be able to introduce them again once they are older? I feel so bad because they’re being housed alone at the moment but I don’t want my piggies to be stressed out.. any advice?
Hi

How long have you had the younger pair? The post-bonding dominance phase is lasting about two weeks on average.
Teenage usually starts around at 3-4 months once the testicles descend and the big hormone spikes set in. It is rather unmistakeable.

You may find the very detailed and practical information in the links below helpful:
A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics
Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?

All these guides are part of our much more comprehensive new owners guide collection, which addresses specifically all the wide range of topics that we get the most questions and concerns about and also helps you to learn what is normal and what not: Getting Started - New Owners' Most Helpful Guides

Michellesalvino

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi

How long have you had the younger pair? The post-bonding dominance phase is lasting about two weeks on average.
Teenage usually starts around at 3-4 months once the testicles descend and the big hormone spikes set in. It is rather unmistakeable.

You may find the very detailed and practical information in the links below helpful:
A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics
Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?
I’ve had them about a week.. should I join them back together? I’ll go ahead and read the article! Thank you!

Swissgreys

Staff member
Reaction score
Please read the articles that @Wiebke has linked to above.
She is extremely experienced with all sorts of bonding and behavioral issues.

The other thing I would ask is how big is their cage and do they have 2 of everything?
It sounds like they are simply settling in and deciding who will be in charge in their new home.
As long as they aren't full on fighting and drawing blood them the squeaks and small tussles are 'normal' behaviour.
The guides above will explain, but it would also help if you could tell us more about their cage set up - boars need a lot of space!

Michellesalvino

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Please read the articles that @Wiebke has linked to above.
She is extremely experienced with all sorts of bonding and behavioral issues.

The other thing I would ask is how big is their cage and do they have 2 of everything?
It sounds like they are simply settling in and deciding who will be in charge in their new home.
As long as they aren't full on fighting and drawing blood them the squeaks and small tussles are 'normal' behaviour.
The guides above will explain, but it would also help if you could tell us more about their cage set up - boars need a lot of space!
I have them in quite a large c&c cage, it’s basically 2x6 with some extra space on the sides where I put a hammock. I do not have 2 of things like the water bottles but I will try that out, thank you!