• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Long haired piggies eyes

Bethanie97

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi
I’m looking for a bit of advice, I have a sheltie breed guinea pig, and the hair above where her eyes are (shown in picture) keeps growing and catching her in the eyes which has started making them look sore and occasionally crusty, I don’t want this becoming a serious problem.
I’ve tried trimming around which helps until it starts to grow back into her eyes, I’ve also tried using a bit of Vaseline to flatten the hair down which was working at first but it’s seems to have made it worse now.
Any advice please?
Many thanks

B3C7E5E8-D6A2-4953-9819-968C612BDD4F.jpeg

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi
I’m looking for a bit of advice, I have a sheltie breed guinea pig, and the hair above where her eyes are (shown in picture) keeps growing and catching her in the eyes which has started making them look sore and occasionally crusty, I don’t want this becoming a serious problem.
I’ve tried trimming around which helps until it starts to grow back into her eyes, I’ve also tried using a bit of Vaseline to flatten the hair down which was working at first but it’s seems to have made it worse now.
Any advice please?
Many thanks

View attachment 164410
Hi!

It is unusual for hair growing directly into the eyes, but the only measure you can take is to please keep the offending hair cut short to prevent that from happening. Guinea pig hair will grow to its genetically determined length, whether that is short hair or long hair (where it grows to an extent that greatly impedes natural behaviour if was left to grow out fully).

If you cut any hair, it will grow back, so hair cutting is a very regular job for owners of long-haired piggies anyway.
An Illustrated Guide to Hair Cutting

flowerfairy

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Four of mine are long haired and I have to regularly trim them all over to keep hair out of their eyes and to keep their bottoms clean (they get wet 'skirts' at the back).

P_20210104_093546.jpgP_20210102_150016.jpgP_20210102_150012.jpgP_20201212_100039.jpgP_20201212_100050.jpg

Bethanie97

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Thanks everyone
I do regularly clip and cut her hair especially her bum area, but I can be abit wary near the eyes as she likes to move very suddenly, but think it’s going to be the best way forward to trim round the eyes to stop any further issues occurring. Il just have to bribe her with plenty of yummy treats.

flowerfairy

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I bought some curved scissors from amazon with rounded ends to make trimming a bit easier. Same ones that my vet has.