• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Jasper'sMama

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello! This is my first time posting here, I really need an opinion on what to do.
I have a 4 1/2-5 year old guinea pig named Jasper. I've had her for about four years now with no health concerns or scares. I handle her pretty frequently, and within a few days she developed a lump on her right side, right behind her leg. The lump is grape sized, moves slightly and seems hard. I haven't put much force into trying to see if it's squishy but she does not seem phased by it at all. She's eating and drinking fine, her poop and pee is normal and she runs around like nothing bothers her.
I took her to the vet yesterday to try to get some answers. They did a needle test, and I was told that all that came out was a little bit of blood. The doctor seems to think it's some type of group of cells, whether it's malignant or benign we're unsure. Not even 100% sure of what it is and they can't run tests without another $300 to find out, and even then the answer isn't certain. The doctor suggested we put her through surgery to get it removed, which it can then be tested for cancer. He suggested we could leave it alone and, "See what happens" as well but didn't seem to think that was the best idea.
I'm afraid to put more money out for a second opinion only to receive the same uncertain answers, and I'm afraid to put Jasper through surgery since she is an older piggy. I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with this or has any tips on what to do. I'm almost thinking about getting a second opinion, but it almost sounds like we should remove the lump no matter what.

Sounds like a mammary tumor to me, its worth getting it removed regardless of whether its cancerous or not.

I have to agree with Wigwig, getting it removed would be what I would do too, especially given the area it is in.

Get a vet to check it out.
Please keep us posted
Hope Jasper is ok
I had a vet take a look at it yesterday. I didn't get much in terms of definitive answers, but the vet seems to think it's some sort of mass of cells as apposed to an abscess and is suggesting I get it removed.
I'll keep this post updated, I'm thinking of getting a second opinion but it sounds like it might be best to have the lump removed regardless of what it is. Thank you! I do too. She is my baby.

My biggest concern going through with this is putting my 4 1/2-5 year old through surgery. Does anyone here have any experience putting older piggies through an operation like this?

My biggest concern going through with this is putting my 4 1/2-5 year old through surgery. Does anyone here have any experience putting older piggies through an operation like this?

Archie about 3 or 4 when he had that operation and he was fine, his mass was huge too.

One of my sows was around 5 when she had an emergency spay and recovered really well. At the end of the day there will always be a risk with anaesthetic but if you are considering it I would be inclined to do sooner rather than later as there will be more of a risk if your piggy is having ill effects or lose weight

One of my sows was around 5 when she had an emergency spay and recovered really well. At the end of the day there will always be a risk with anaesthetic but if you are considering it I would be inclined to do sooner rather than later as there will be more of a risk if your piggy is having ill effects or lose weight
So far she seems to be eating, drinking and doing everything as usual. She still is energetic and talkative, I haven’t seen any changes in her behavior yet but I’d rather get this done before any of that potentially happens. My biggest worry is definitely the anaesthetic and her recovery afterwords. I appreciate the input, thank you so much!

Back