• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Lump or bone? Please help

Piggie mama

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all, when picking up my youngest piggie today (he's 10 months) I noticed a hard rounded end lump or bone,I'm not sure which, in between his front legs, I can't feel one on my older pig, however he has quite a bit more fat than my little one. The lump feels as though it is long and curved at the end, the end facing his bottom. He is still putting on weight and eating well and doesn't seem to be bothered by this at all.
Can someone please tell me if this is just a bone or if its worth getting him to the vet please? Thankyou!

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
It does sound like a lump to me, but as I can't give your piggy a hands-on examination, I can't tell youfor sure what you are dealing with. If in doubt, have him vet checked by your vet. Any healthy piggy should get a vet health check once a year anyway.

Piggie mama

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
They had check in October and were given a clean bill of health :) I can only feel one end, and after feeling a little more, it's more towards his stomach than between the front legs, it feels like the upper end is attached to other bones and flat and it's just the end towards his bottom that's rounded, I thought it could be part of his rib cage? But I'll get him checked if there's noone who knows for sure, I just didn't want to turn up to a vet and have them go "yeah it's a bone, they all have them" if it was really obvious

Bill & Ted

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Is it in front of his bottom area, it might be his penis ridge?

Piggie mama

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Took him to my vet yesterday evening, its the end of his sternum I'm feeling, he has a rather pronounced one but thankfully no health issues, she said he was in good shape :D