• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Metacam - pain relief

Kallasia

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all! So, after his surgery, Errol has been on 0.3ml of metacam daily.
It's helped with his recovery and given older brother Binky some respite for a few hours after Errol takes it - it makes him go all funny, stumbling around and napping loads, like he's high or tripping!

I said about the surgery here: Suspicious Lump Removed - Benign Tumor
His stitches are doing well and his fur is growing back, but I'm concerned about the pain relief!

The vet said it is possible for them to become addicted to it. I really think that has happened. He's acting very out-of-character in an evening, around when we have been medicating him. He's started wheeking uncontrollably and shunning food or affection in the evening - all he wants is metacam! When he sees me get the bottle or syringe he comes bounding over and waits for it. He tugs so hard on the syringe he almost pulls it out of my hand!

I was thinking if we drop to 0.2ml for a week, then 0.1ml for a week then to nothing, perhaps that will help, what do you guys think?
Does anyone have any advice or experience with this type of behaviour?

I have never noticed any of my pigs get high on it but all pigs like the taste as it is sweet. It is probably that reason that he waits for it. It should not affect his balance or anything though or make him sleepy like the stronger pain killers can. Yes you could start to taper it off as long as your vet is happy with that.

They can get addicted to it and I have been advised in the past after using it long term to slowly wean them off it. I know Digby loved his metacam but Bruno isn't bothered about it.

Metacam is not an addictive drug, I suspect he simply likes the taste of it, two of mine on it wait for it every morning and night and try to snatch the syringe from me, its sweet tasting. The signs your explaining though are not side effects of this drug either so not really sure what's happening.

Metacam is not an addictive drug, I suspect he simply likes the taste of it, two of mine on it wait for it every morning and night and try to snatch the syringe from me, its sweet tasting. The signs your explaining though are not side effects of this drug either so not really sure what's happening.

That's good to hear, so he's probably not facing withdrawal symptoms, he just likes the taste! I might wean him off a little quicker then.
I wonder if the strange behaviour afterwards is some sort of placebo effect? The only time Errol has had metacam before is after the surgery itself when he was coming round from the general anesthetic. Maybe he's learnt to associate the taste with that behaviour/feelings? And then I'm reinforcing that behaviour by assuming it was withdrawal symptoms and continuing to give him the medicine?

Back