• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Elliethepiggy

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I have three sows, two are from the same litter and one which I have just recently adopted. They have a big cage with ample running space. When the new sow was adopted I followed the instructions of bonding in order for the process to go smoothly. After the hierarchy was established I believe the leadership roles switched and the new leader runs around bullying the rest. This includes not letting them eat (I have multiple food sources in the cage) and not letting them drink. She tries to instigate a fight every time they try to eat. She's always been a moody guinea pig who hated to be held even at a younger age, but now shatters her teeth at me constantly when I try to give them food, change water, and clean the cage.
What do I do? Should I separate her from the herd?

I have three sows, two are from the same litter and one which I have just recently adopted. They have a big cage with ample running space. When the new sow was adopted I followed the instructions of bonding in order for the process to go smoothly. After the hierarchy was established I believe the leadership roles switched and the new leader runs around bullying the rest. This includes not letting them eat (I have multiple food sources in the cage) and not letting them drink. She tries to instigate a fight every time they try to eat. She's always been a moody guinea pig who hated to be held even at a younger age, but now shatters her teeth at me constantly when I try to give them food, change water, and clean the cage.
What do I do? Should I separate her from the herd?

I would strongly recommend to feed small portions of pellets and fresh veg/herbs in 2-3 portions that can be eaten in one go and don't hang around in between. Place the bowls as far away from each other as possible and have one extra one handy to distract her. That is hopefully going to help minimise the food bullying. Also have at least two water bottles at opposing ends and two sources of hay well away from each other. Alternatively, feed them the same things separately, but do not let anything hang around and ideally provide hideys with two exits until theings have calmed down.
Your bully is sounding rather stressed, but it can take a long time for the dominance ohase to settle. If you are really worried whether the bond is viable or not, please conduct an overnight trial separation. If one party is perking up noticeably instantly, you know that it is not working; otherwise, be patient and persist.

Use the tips in the whispering guide to tell your problem pig that you love her, but also assert your dominance over her.
How To Understand Guinea Pig Instincts And Speak Piggy Body Language

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back