• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

My Guinea Pig Is Behaving Very Weird, He Stops And Stare At One Point For A While... Please Help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

T&T

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Please help, I'm new to this forum so first of all hello to everyone. I wonder if you could help me, I realised that from few days my guinea pig is acting strange. He would stop at one place, usually by his food bowl or in his cozy bed and look up or in front of him with his eyes wide open for a LONG time as he was on different planet. He looks as he freezed or something. When he does it he wouldn't respond to anything except when I try to touch him. Then another minute he would act just normal. He is eating and drinking and seems normal otherwise but I think this is getting more frequent. He has no crusty eyes, nose or ears. He seems to be breathing normal. He is after 4 doses of anti lice shampoo and 4doses of ivermectin. I'm crying my eyes out, seriously, I only got him for 3months but I love him very much! Perhaps your piggies do the same? I might be paranoid coz I'm watching them(him and his cage mate) very closely after the treatments coz weirdly they are still scratching (?) but I DO NOT recall him behaving like this before. Many thanks

Hi & welcome to the forum. How do you know he has lice/mites? Has he been seen by a vet at all? You are close to the best piggy vet in the Country, Simon at the Cat & Rabbit clinic, so I would advise you to get an appointment to get your boy checked over there :)

Are you serious? the one in kingshorpe? that's such an amazing news! You know normally when you go to vet they check the symptoms on internet :-)
My boys were badly affected by static lice, the younger one brought some with him ( he literally had lice egg on every single hair!)

absenses! ? an epeleptic condition to afect dogs , cats and other animals ? may be worth looking in to ?

If he's on treatment and you know there's a lice issue that you're treating, I would probably get a vet opinion, just to make sure the dosing is correct for weight, etc. I do know that some insecticides at too high a dose can have neurological effects on animals. That said, I have definitely seen my guinea pigs space out on occasion without it being a problem. He may also actually be sleeping- guinea pigs take brief naps with their eyes open sometimes. So a guinea pig staring at nothing may actually be dozing.

just a thought , if you do mention adscenses to your vet, !

l am sure it is well known but epalepcy is condition that offten requires permanant medication.
lf l am not mistaken the medication is one that has a habit of dulling the mind to a degree !

But before you let your vet prescribe you pig a mind numing drug , be sure that the diagnosis is correct .

or you pig may be in a constent daise for no good reason

I agree with getting to the Cat and Rabbit clinic if you can, people travel across the country to see Simon and Kim. Did this happen after you treated for lice? as if it could possibly be a reaction to the product? what product did you use?

Ours do that, but only for a short period of time (usually a wee!) or when they sleep..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back