• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

My Guinea Pig Spazzes Out When Out Of Cage

Mishatoe

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I've had a guinea pig for about a month now and she's only a baby. I've noticed that when she's out of her cage she goes completely bonkers. Rolling, jumping, running around crazily. She does not like being touched outside of her cage, but when she's in it I can pet away. Does anyone know what could he wrong with her? I'm very worried.

I've had a guinea pig for about a month now and she's only a baby. I've noticed that when she's out of her cage she goes completely bonkers. Rolling, jumping, running around crazily. She does not like being touched outside of her cage, but when she's in it I can pet away. Does anyone know what could he wrong with her? I'm very worried.

it sounds like your piggy is very much enjoying her roaming time. We call the running 'zooming' and the jumping/rolling 'popcorning' - they are both sings of happiness and excitement.

It is very normal that free roaming guinea pigs don't like being petted; respect that and interact with her not as a pet but as a equal being and as an independent personality during her free time. She'll still come to you for a treat. Let this time be the one she can teach you about being a guinea pig. You may find it rather fascinating, especially when you consider getting her a same gender companion, so you can enjoy watching the two of the egging each other on with the popcorning and playing dodgems when zooming around. It never fails to make me laugh! ;)

it sounds like your piggy is very much enjoying her roaming time. We call the running 'zooming' and the jumping/rolling 'popcorning' - they are both sings of happiness and excitement.

It is very normal that free roaming guinea pigs don't like being petted; respect that and interact with her not as a pet but as a equal being and as an independent personality during her free time. She'll still come to you for a treat. Let this time be the one she can teach you about being a guinea pig. You may find it rather fascinating, especially when you consider getting her a same gender companion, so you can enjoy watching the two of the egging each other on with the popcorning and playing dodgems when zooming around. It never fails to make me laugh! ;)

Thank you so much! This really eased my fear that she was hurt. I am acrually going to be getting another guinea pig once I make a bigger cage for the both of them. Next time I take her out I'll take your advice.

Sounds like your piggie is having a great time! Zoomies and popcorns are signs of happiness nothing to worry about at all! Zoomies are fun to watch.

Seems you have a very good and happy piggie. it's a suprise seeing them for what other than happiness is skip jump my lad used to look around then with our warning. Run like crazy just missing table legs chairs any objects by millimetres do two /three laps and stop. Next time different route next time. Enjoy the fun x

Your guinea pig is perfectly fine the jumping and running and rolling is a normal thing that guinea pigs do it’s referred to as “popcorning” guinea pigs often do this when they’re really excited about something it could be that your guinea pig enjoys actually being out of her cage when I first noticed my single guinea pig doing this I thought he had an itch or something was wrong with him or he just didn’t like me to touch him but i also noticed he would do this when I cleaned his cage or gave him more food or talked to him in a baby voice while petting him so this is a normal experience I recommend continuing to let your guinea pig out of her cage it sounds like it really boost her happiness good luck

Back