• Dying, terminal illness and euthanasia: New sensitive support guide for guinea pig owners Please Click Here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Nail Polish On A Piggie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexandra West

Junior Guinea Pig
Joined
Jan 4, 2017
Messages
53
Reaction score
41
Points
220
Location
Cincinnati Ohio
Hey! I was at my friends house yesterday and she got a guinea pig a few days ago, and she was painting his nails with O.P.I nail polish. I told her it was a bad idea, but she didn't listen. She's had around 4 piggies before, so I wanted to ask the question if this is actually safe or not. For her piggies safety. I'd never put nail polish on Finnian. I wasn't able to get pictures of her painting the nails due to my phone being in the other room, but she painted his nails blue. I'd like to see thoughts so I can show her this so hopefully she'll stop if it's not safe... poor Lion... (that's the name of her guinea pig)
 

chesca_27

Junior Guinea Pig
Joined
Oct 23, 2016
Messages
433
Reaction score
351
Points
380
Location
Hertfordshire
As much fun as it would probably be, I would never paint Oreo's nails. I think the main thing would be the fumes from it, which could be quite harmful. They have very sensitive respiratory systems. The other risk is the nail polish flaking off the nails when they wash their paws and end up consuming it. I'm pretty sure nail polish is toxic to humans anyway.

I would stick with painting human nails.
 

Alexandra West

Junior Guinea Pig
Joined
Jan 4, 2017
Messages
53
Reaction score
41
Points
220
Location
Cincinnati Ohio
As much fun as it would probably be, I would never paint Oreo's nails. I think the main thing would be the fumes from it, which could be quite harmful. They have very sensitive respiratory systems. The other risk is the nail polish flaking off the nails when they wash their paws and end up consuming it. I'm pretty sure nail polish is toxic to humans anyway.

I would stick with painting human nails.
That's what I told her... but she said she wanted more than just my opinion... it's a terrible idea to paint nails of pretty much every animal. Not just Guinea Pigs...
 

Dorothy&Coco

Teenage Guinea Pig
Joined
Jul 8, 2016
Messages
843
Reaction score
723
Points
575
Location
South West UK
I can't think of any benefit to the piggy, just possible negatives. I'm not sure it would be at all enjoyable for the piggy and as others have said may be detrimental to their health. It does not sound like a sensible or caring thing to do.
 

Swissgreys

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Mar 15, 2016
Messages
6,512
Reaction score
13,095
Points
1,965
Location
Zürich, Switzerland
Absolutely not.
What a terrible thing to do to a piggie.

Firstly the fumes from the polish could have a very negative effect, as piggies have an extremely sensitive respiratory system and narrow nasal passages. They are very close to their feet and as nail polish dries the solvents in it (which are added to prevent it from getting too thick whilst in the bottle) will evaporate, causing some strong fumes. This must be absolute torture for a guinea pig who can't escape the fumes.

Secondly nail polishes are meant for human nails and not guinea pig nails. They can be quite drying, and could cause split nails in a guinea pig, or damage to the sensitive skin at the end of the toe.

Thirdly I can't imagine that her guinea pig sat there quite happily while it's nails were painted. If she is doing something that is not medically necessary and it causes distress to her pet, then it is quite simply wrong. A guinea pig is an animal with strong instincts and not a cuddly toy. They should not be treated like a doll or a play thing and forced to endure unnatural handling just for the pleasure of the owner.

I think it is great that you realized this is wrong, and tried to tell your friend that it was not ok.
Well done for trying to protect her piggie, and hopefully she will listen to you and not do it again.
 

Claire W

Forum Donator 2019/20
Joined
Mar 23, 2008
Messages
24,303
Reaction score
12,224
Points
2,415
Location
Lancashire (Originally from Nottingham)
Please inform your friend that guinea pigs are living animals. If she wants to paint nails, ask her to use her own fingers or buy a doll.

Apart from the health risks that have already bean mentioned, I hate to think what stress the poor piggy is going through whilst he is having his nails painted :(

Well done though for trying to do the right thing by making her see sense x
 
D

DM030819

My piggies regularly bite their own nails when they've been scratching themselves. They could ingest the nail varnish when doing this, which is something that shouldn't happen.

I'm pretty certain that nail varnishes will say 'not to be ingested' on them, and that applies to everything.
 

Freela

Senior Guinea Pig
Joined
Aug 15, 2010
Messages
5,065
Reaction score
3,653
Points
1,350
Location
Canada
I would be worried about the fumes while painting and the possibility of the pig ingesting it. They are small animals, obviously any chemical/toxicity is going to require a smaller amount to do harm in an animal that size. I'm with you on this one.
 

piggieminder

Forum Donator 2019/20
Joined
Apr 7, 2015
Messages
8,403
Reaction score
11,997
Points
1,925
Location
Bristol, UK
Nail polish apart from the fumes which are toxic nail polish contains nasty chemicals and should not be ingested. I hate to see it on small children, certainly should not be used on animals.
 

flowerfairy

Forum Donator 2017/18
Joined
Jul 17, 2013
Messages
4,763
Reaction score
4,730
Points
1,200
Location
Hampshire
I dont suppose that your friend is being deliberately cruel but equally she doesnt really want to hear that it isnt a good idea. I agree that it is dangerous and unkind and that her own fingers would be a better place to express her artistic talants.
 

Guinea Slave

Forum Donator 2017/18
Joined
Oct 27, 2010
Messages
2,480
Reaction score
2,150
Points
1,025
Location
Hampshire
Frankly she needs to realise that her animals are not toys and should not be treated as such. If she wants to paint nails paint her own or buy a doll. How ridiculous and unnecessary.
 

Alexandra West

Junior Guinea Pig
Joined
Jan 4, 2017
Messages
53
Reaction score
41
Points
220
Location
Cincinnati Ohio
Hey! I was at my friends house yesterday and she got a guinea pig a few days ago, and she was painting his nails with O.P.I nail polish. I told her it was a bad idea, but she didn't listen. She's had around 4 piggies before, so I wanted to ask the question if this is actually safe or not. For her piggies safety. I'd never put nail polish on Finnian. I wasn't able to get pictures of her painting the nails due to my phone being in the other room, but she painted his nails blue. I'd like to see thoughts so I can show her this so hopefully she'll stop if it's not safe... poor Lion... (that's the name of her guinea pig)
Thankfully, I showed her all the opinions being a "stupid idea, don't do it" and she said she wouldn't again. We gently scrubbed off the nail polish with water and VERY diluted nail polish remover. A single drop in an entire glass of water because it wasn't coming off any other way, and then gently rubbed his nails off with more water. He seems much happier now, but his nails have a blue tint to them now.... I hope she never attempts this again. Thank you for all your help, guys! I hope the tint will go away....
 

Chief Guinea Pig

Senior Guinea Pig
Joined
Nov 4, 2013
Messages
16,202
Reaction score
12,277
Points
2,075
Location
Derby, UK
What a sick act, let's hope she doesn't get back to these antics again. It's quite often that I'm disappointed in humanity. What a relief you were there to tick her off.
 

Claire W

Forum Donator 2019/20
Joined
Mar 23, 2008
Messages
24,303
Reaction score
12,224
Points
2,415
Location
Lancashire (Originally from Nottingham)
Thankfully, I showed her all the opinions being a "stupid idea, don't do it" and she said she wouldn't again. We gently scrubbed off the nail polish with water and VERY diluted nail polish remover. A single drop in an entire glass of water because it wasn't coming off any other way, and then gently rubbed his nails off with more water. He seems much happier now, but his nails have a blue tint to them now.... I hope she never attempts this again. Thank you for all your help, guys! I hope the tint will go away....
Well done for making her see sense.

Don't worry about the blue tint, that will eventually grow out as his nails grow.

Let's hope she has learned her lesson and doesn't do it again!
 

Lady Kelly

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Jan 11, 2011
Messages
13,148
Reaction score
16,182
Points
2,115
Location
Leicester
I actually have opi nail varnishes. It doesn't say not to be ingested but the ingredients list of acetates, resins and alcohol certainly don't sound appealing in the slightest.

If your friend is thinking of doing it again and seems unconcerned for her poor animals then maybe advise against it on cost grounds? Opi is bloody expensive and I wouldn't waste it on anything other than my own nails!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top