• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Need Advice Quick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sara’s Piggies

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I found a year old female guineapig on craiglist a woman is trying to get rid of. It's never been with other piggies other than when it was a baby. I currently have two 4 month old guineapigs. I would love to give this guineapig a good home with friends. It makes me sad it's been by itself. Do you think the age difference makes it more likely it won't work out? I've never introduced a new guineapig before. I have only had pairs that came together. I'm worried about the age and 3 female dynamics. I'm going to meet the guineapig before but I also want input from people on here. I don't want to get her and have it not work out and have to have her by herself again.

I found a year old female guineapig on craiglist a woman is trying to get rid of. It's never been with other piggies other than when it was a baby. I currently have two 4 month old guineapigs. I would love to give this guineapig a good home with friends. It makes me sad it's been by itself. Do you think the age difference makes it more likely it won't work out? I've never introduced a new guineapig before. I have only had pairs that came together. I'm worried about the age and 3 female dynamics. I'm going to meet the guineapig before but I also want input from people on here. I don't want to get her and have it not work out and have to have her by herself again.

I should add the guineapig seems reasonably taken care of and tame.

It may work out it may not no way of telling unfortunately... We have never had too many issues when bonding our girls at varying ages. The four month olds will be hitting teenage years soon which always sends the hierarchy a little loopy...You would need a bigger cage than for two the bigger the area the better. What sized cage do you have?

Have a read of our bonding guide Illustrated Bonding / Dominance Behaviours And Dynamics

I have 2 Midwest cages connected. Each Midwest cage is 47ich by 24inch. Its definitely big enough for 2 and then some. How about 3? I would most likely connect a 3rd Midwest cage even if the 2 was big enough as I like them to have extra room than they need.
It may work out it may not no way of telling unfortunately... We have never had too many issues when bonding our girls at varying ages. The four month olds will be hitting teenage years soon which always sends the hierarchy a little loopy...You would need a bigger cage than for two the bigger the area the better. What sized cage do you have?

Have a read of our bonding guide Illustrated Bonding / Dominance Behaviours And Dynamics

47 inches? or centimeters?

So 47 inches is 120, so you have a great size for two already with 240 length in cm. Sorry us Brits are metric for most part unless we are on about height then we go back to feet and inches.

If you have space for a third then it won't hurt

So for the time being do you think the 2 Midwest cages are okay?Those measurements are for one cage. I have that doubled just to clarify. You may have already understood that.

Hi! Please be aware that you may need to quarantine at first before you do intros, or be prepared to treat all piggies if there are problems.

Importance Of Quarantine

Hi! Please be aware that you may need to quarantine at first before you do intros, or be prepared to treat all piggies if there are problems.

Importance Of Quarantine

Yes I am aware. I would have the new piggie get a wellness checkup before intros. I'm mostly asking about the age dynamic because mine are in the "teenager" phase and this potential new piggie is about a year old and has never had cage mates.

Yes I am aware. I would have the new piggie get a wellness checkup before intros. I'm mostly asking about the age dynamic because mine are in the "teenager" phase and this potential new piggie is about a year old and has never had cage mates.

You have to see how it goes. You can never predict bondings; it is down to the dynamics between the sows, especially if your top girl and the new girl can come to a solution as to which of them is the new top lady which is accepted by all. It also depends on how much experience your new girl has with other guinea pigs or if she hast lost that if she has been separated to early and not been around others of her kind. Take it slowly to cut down on potential fear aggression and fear triggered bites.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back