• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

New Baby Guineas Not Drinking Water

PeggyandNancy

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I've had two new piggies (about 9 weeks old) for a week now and they don't appear to be drinking water. I've tried giving them a bowl but they just throw stuff in it (including poops) and even changing that every chance I could didn't seem to help. I've given them as watery vegetables as I can and they've peed on me 3 times so I assume they are drinking but I can't see it happening.

Any advice?

Lexipiggie

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
When we first got our piggies we had the same situation. In the end, I thought maybe they hadn't figured out how or where the bottle was. So I unclipped it from the cage and held it in front of the piggies , sure enough they started drinking. I then clipped it back on the cage making sure they had seen where I had reclipped it. Ever since I haven't had any problems and changed the water everyday as it's more hygienic, they drink a lot and they prefer the fresh water. That's my personal experience.

However, if you feed a lot of watery veggies they will probably drink less. If the water bottle level goes down regularly then I wouldn't be concerned.

PeggyandNancy

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Thanks! It doesn't go down, and I also change it every day. I'll try the unclipping method you tried and hopefully it'll work!

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I've had two new piggies (about 9 weeks old) for a week now and they don't appear to be drinking water. I've tried giving them a bowl but they just throw stuff in it (including poops) and even changing that every chance I could didn't seem to help. I've given them as watery vegetables as I can and they've peed on me 3 times so I assume they are drinking but I can't see it happening.

Any advice?
Hi!

Please do not fret. Guinea pigs get enough water from their veg to not dehydrate, but the more veg you feed, the less good for their health and the less incentive they have to take heed of the water bottle. If they have never learned from an older guinea pig to drink from a bottle, they usually struggle at first.
Please take the time to read this guide: All About Drinking And Bottles
Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diet

We have got lots more useful information for new owners in our guide bundle that specifically addresses the areas that are asked about most often. We have combined this with some information that will help you avoid problems in the longer run.

Lexipiggie

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Sure! Hope it works as well as it did for my girls.
If it doesn't work the first time repeat it a few times over the week and it should work.

Mishka

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have a pair of piggies who seemed to never drink. Their water bottle level never changed, and I never caught them at it. I just gave them veggies that were still damp from washing and they were honestly fine. This went on for months, but now out of the blue they have started drinking hehe! I wouldn't be worried. Some piggies are just not big drinkers.

Katiedid

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My old boars didn't seem to drink for 6 months despite me showing them the bottle ether one day they got it. My baby Binky had no idea but showing her worked in days.