• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

emdalliance

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi guys!

I posted a few weeks ago about a Guinea pig I was fostering that I've now kept lol!

He's been castrated and now needs to wait 5 more weeks until he can have some friends.

Well, two girls came into the rescue and they're in a right old state! I was happy to foster them in the hopes they'll be able to bond with Pigwigeon, but jeez I feel bad for them.

They're insanely skittish, try and catapult out their cage, they came in with ear mites, hay mites, fungal feet, open wounds, overgrown claws. The owners also tried to I'm guessing cover up matting by shaving them, which isn't helping with appearances lol!

They're on treatment, so hopefully they'll get better soon.

I've named them Minerva and Pomona.

Minerva will have long hair once she's not bald, Pomona has a funky hairdo.

See attached, photos of Pig (my smooth hair boy who's my foster fail) and Minerva (white one) and Pomona (black).

I've never ever had Pigs this wild and skittish. It's going to take some work! Hopefully I'm up to the task.

Attachments

• E2733ED0-AE89-4DDB-8718-E3635A6464CA.jpeg
    E2733ED0-AE89-4DDB-8718-E3635A6464CA.jpeg
    69.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 6B9B53AB-D71A-435B-9690-1CA743ACC81B.jpeg
    6B9B53AB-D71A-435B-9690-1CA743ACC81B.jpeg
    53.6 KB · Views: 25
  • BA10BCBC-CA73-425E-A631-4FE314A2EDF2.jpeg
    BA10BCBC-CA73-425E-A631-4FE314A2EDF2.jpeg
    57.8 KB · Views: 26
Wishing you all the best and well done for taking them on, I’m sure with the right care and nutrition they will shine

Theyre gorgeous, I just saw them on the rescues Facebook page, you're just down the road from me lol 😅 I hope they thrive now they're in good hands.

Aww bless them. They will soon be on the mend with your good care.

Hi guys!

I posted a few weeks ago about a Guinea pig I was fostering that I've now kept lol!

He's been castrated and now needs to wait 5 more weeks until he can have some friends.

Well, two girls came into the rescue and they're in a right old state! I was happy to foster them in the hopes they'll be able to bond with Pigwigeon, but jeez I feel bad for them.

They're insanely skittish, try and catapult out their cage, they came in with ear mites, hay mites, fungal feet, open wounds, overgrown claws. The owners also tried to I'm guessing cover up matting by shaving them, which isn't helping with appearances lol!

They're on treatment, so hopefully they'll get better soon.

I've named them Minerva and Pomona.

Minerva will have long hair once she's not bald, Pomona has a funky hairdo.

See attached, photos of Pig (my smooth hair boy who's my foster fail) and Minerva (white one) and Pomona (black).

I've never ever had Pigs this wild and skittish. It's going to take some work! Hopefully I'm up to the task.

Hi

Poor girls!

Try to use the information on prey animal instincts, how you can avoid coming across as a predator and talking to them in your own language (starting with inviting them into your own herd by gentle ear fondling and telling them they are loved) to shorten the period of them being totally freaked out. It may take weeks or even months, but you will eventually get through once they are feeling better in themselves and feeling safer.
The tips also help you to avoid dangerous blind jumps from freaked out piggies.

Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering and Cuddling Tips
How To Pick Up And Weigh Your Guinea Pigs Safely
How Do I Settle Shy New Guinea Pigs?

All the best!

Well done you for taking them in, I’m sure they’ll thrive now they have a loving home x
Your little foster fail is gorgeous, no wonder you couldn’t let him go 😊

Awwww. Bless them. Hopefully they will soon settle down with you once you start spoiling them. 😍

Theyre gorgeous, I just saw them on the rescues Facebook page, you're just down the road from me lol 😅 I hope they thrive now they're in good hands.
Oooh thank you! Yes I posted them lol as I help with social media! The boys are too cute. Pomona looks like a wild child with her Mohawk.

Thank you! I do too. I'm going to focus on getting them better before worry about taming them. I don't want them to be uncomfortable/in pain and me trying to tame them which I'm sure wouldn't help them out.

Hi

Poor girls!

Try to use the information on prey animal instincts, how you can avoid coming across as a predator and talking to them in your own language (starting with inviting them into your own herd by gentle ear fondling and telling them they are loved) to shorten the period of them being totally freaked out. It may take weeks or even months, but you will eventually get through once they are feeling better in themselves and feeling safer.
The tips also help you to avoid dangerous blind jumps from freaked out piggies.

Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering and Cuddling Tips
How To Pick Up And Weigh Your Guinea Pigs Safely
How Do I Settle Shy New Guinea Pigs?

All the best!
Thank you! I've already read through them all after realising how skittish and petrified they are!

My focus is just going to be getting them healthy and comfortable before worrying about making them tamer. I have months/years to worry about that. I just want them to feel better asap. Especially poor Minerva with her wounds.

I can't get anywhere near them now to even let them know they're safe so, the sooner they feel better, the better!

Well done you for taking them in, I’m sure they’ll thrive now they have a loving home x
Your little foster fail is gorgeous, no wonder you couldn’t let him go 😊
Thank you! Fingers crossed they get better quickly!

He's gorgeous isn't he 😂 he's in a 6x2 c&c with two 2x1 lofts so he has a nice bachelor pad all to himself lol!

Thank you! I've already read through them all after realising how skittish and petrified they are!

My focus is just going to be getting them healthy and comfortable before worrying about making them tamer. I have months/years to worry about that. I just want them to feel better asap. Especially poor Minerva with her wounds.

I can't get anywhere near them now to even let them know they're safe so, the sooner they feel better, the better!

Place a towel over the cage to make them feel more secure and try to use the carrier for lifting them up. The first weeks with totally freaked out piggies are HARD. It will get better once they realise that you are making them feel less painful and uncomfortable but it is a slow process that often feels like one step forward and two back. Whenever that happens, give them time to regroup and then restart the process two steps back. They should come round each time that little bit more quickly.

Awwww. Bless them. Hopefully they will soon settle down with you once you start spoiling them. 😍
Hopefully! I'm just hoping the wounds on Minerva are from the mites and not from fighting!

They came in with four boys who were in slightly better condition with their skin not being as bad (no open wounds) but still not great!

Place a towel over the cage to make them feel more secure and try to use the carrier for lifting them up. The first weeks with totally freaked out piggies are HARD.
Will do!

It's a really quiet room, it's my rodent room.. so they shouldn't be too freaked out other than when I go in as there's not a tonne of noise and we are a quiet household anyway.

I'm slightly concerned about passing anything on to Pigwigeon as they are in the same room as him. I've been washing my hands religiously and not touching them/their cage and then touching stuff in the room.

I come in and sort Pig first, give him some fuss and then do the girls. They're on newspaper so I can just bin it, bin the hay and f10 the cage and their plastic hides. No fleece, nothing nice, just so I can regularly bin it all. Do you think that'll be okay?

I really don't want to pass anything on to Pig but keeping them in separate rooms is impossible unfortunately!

Hello what an adventure for you ! I love the pigtures ! Sounds like you’re doing the right things - washing hands / disposable bedding etc. someone will come along and advise you soon about that as I have no experience of mites etc. good luck tho

Hello what an adventure for you ! I love the pigtures ! Sounds like you’re doing the right things - washing hands / disposable bedding etc. someone will come along and advise you soon about that as I have no experience of mites etc. good luck tho
Thank you!

Yes I've never dealt with mites or any ailment really before that's not been just an "injury" rather than something contagious.

Sending them lots of healing vibes for a speedy recovery :)

So the girls are going to the vets because I'm not sure Pomona's teeth are quite right.

Neither of them will eat nuggets, but Minerva is chomping through all the veg so I'm not overly worried about her.

Pom tries to eat the nice food - pepper, celery, broccoli, carrot... but then drops it, she like gums it as if "ouchie, I can't" then picks up the soft mixed salad leaves instead.

They're SO MUCH better personality wise in just two days.. I have been leaving them alone bar feeding them and poop sweeping and they're so much calmer. They eat in front of me, don't go absolutely crazy when I put my hand in to add or remove something and will sit and talk in front of me too!

They'll definitely be staying 😀

Attachments

• F7FD5C7C-64B7-4F69-AA1C-A2884CED90BE.jpeg
    F7FD5C7C-64B7-4F69-AA1C-A2884CED90BE.jpeg
    116.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 4A71FD33-4166-4A5D-8323-4E11E84443A5.jpeg
    4A71FD33-4166-4A5D-8323-4E11E84443A5.jpeg
    94.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 2D8E62E7-2052-44DB-90C2-3EE05237A799.jpeg
    2D8E62E7-2052-44DB-90C2-3EE05237A799.jpeg
    122.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 84D7FDA1-BDEA-4D99-B45A-70189A2B1297.jpeg
    84D7FDA1-BDEA-4D99-B45A-70189A2B1297.jpeg
    113.6 KB · Views: 5
So the girls are going to the vets because I'm not sure Pomona's teeth are quite right.

Neither of them will eat nuggets, but Minerva is chomping through all the veg so I'm not overly worried about her.

Pom tries to eat the nice food - pepper, celery, broccoli, carrot... but then drops it, she like gums it as if "ouchie, I can't" then picks up the soft mixed salad leaves instead.

They're SO MUCH better personality wise in just two days.. I have been leaving them alone bar feeding them and poop sweeping and they're so much calmer. They eat in front of me, don't go absolutely crazy when I put my hand in to add or remove something and will sit and talk in front of me too!

They'll definitely be staying 😀

Pellets are the part of the diet that is not absolutely necessary but please have the teeth checked. Please be aware that she won't be eating hay stalks in this case either. Try mushed up pellets and see whether that goes down as she needs enough fibre in her diet.
Fresh growing grass (dog pee-free and carefully introduced) is also great for dental piggies.

Back