• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

sniz822

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello,

I adopted a 7 month old male guinea pig named Norman. I have never owned one before and should have done my research before purchasing but am making up for lost time by purchasing the guinea pig handbook and watching little adventures on youtube.

Since watching many of these videos I have noticed my guinea pig dose not wheek. He makes no noise when I enter my bedroom or when I feed him. I make the noise, whick whick when I place food or hay in his cage and he often hides in his hide away before making his way out to grab a bite.

During floor time he is perfectly comfortable eating cucumber out of my hand or if I have it and stick it in his hideaway. However getting his to floor time is a process he will not allow me to pick him up and I have to put his carrier into his cage and lure him in with some kale. I have tried to bond with him and give him 3 hours of floor time a day with me sitting next to him at floor level careful not to be hanging above him. Sometimes he responds to his name if I have food other times not so much. I talk to him when i'm in my room trying to tame him and even leave the tv on so he gets used to the sound of people talking however when I host floor time I am careful to do it in a quiet area of the house away from my dog.

I'm wondering if this is normal because I have only had him for 1 month or is this a area of concern. I took him to the vet and she said he is perfectly healthy he eats 3 times a day 2 meals of leafy greens and 1 meal of guinea pellets and fruit once a week.

It's early days, I've had my babies 2 months now, they don't wheel for food like the older Ines and they are buggers to catch - usually in a tunnel or bed! Lots of food offered by hand, lots of talking to and company, lots if time and it will happen.

In my experience it can take quite some time! I got Winona over the summer and she still doesn't squeak as much or as often and my other pig Wiley and will only sometimes take food from my hand. Patience is key!

Some piggies don't vocalise especially when they are on their own. Have you thought about getting him a friend? I don't know where you live but our rescue locater will help you to find a rescue to organise a boar date. Or as he is so young you could consider getting him neutered and find him a girlfriend ot two depending on the size of your cage. He will certainly wheek then!
Make sure he has access to hay at all times in addition to his greens and pellets.

Back