• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

New Piggie + Vet Visit = Stress?

Shelby._.

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So I have to bring my new piggie to the vet tomorrow because he is sneezing a lot and it is worrying me. I have only had him a few days and am worried about him being stressed as he is very skidish now and doesn’t like my hands near him. Does anyone have any tips to make him less stressed? I also don’t want to put in hay cuz I don’t know if that is what is causing his sniffles. Thank you!

He may find the trip stressful, but it's definitely important to get him seen if he is sniffling! My pigs have never enjoyed the vet, but I put them in a carrier with a blanket to hide under and some treats. It may also help to take a companion along with him if he is living with a friend. Pigs tend to be more comfortable in a group than alone.

You must put in hay even if it is whats making him sneeze. Hay should be 80% of his diet. Maybe try another brand. Without hay his teeth will overgrow surprisingly quickly and his guts need the fibre. Good luck at the vets.

He may find the trip stressful, but it's definitely important to get him seen if he is sniffling! My pigs have never enjoyed the vet, but I put them in a carrier with a blanket to hide under and some treats. It may also help to take a companion along with him if he is living with a friend. Pigs tend to be more comfortable in a group than alone.
Thank you! I wish I could bring a friend along but I just got to him to pair with a guinea pig who’s cage mate passed away so I haven’t introduced them as he is in quarantine.

You must put in hay even if it is whats making him sneeze. Hay should be 80% of his diet. Maybe try another brand. Without hay his teeth will overgrow surprisingly quickly and his guts need the fibre. Good luck at the vets.
Don’t worry I still had hay in the cage! :) The carrier is just a lot smaller than his main cage obviously and I didn’t want they hay right in his face. But I did end up putting a small pile in there for him. :)

I'm glad you got some answers at the vet and hopefully the antibiotics do the trick for him! :)

I’m glad you had had him seen and that the visit wasn’t as stressful as you first feared.

Healing vibes being sent for a speedy recovery
Thank you so much! My family doesn’t really understand my guinea obsession lol even though they support me it’s nice to have a little piggie family on here :luv:

Good to hear that your prompt attention caught the respiratory infection before it got too bad. Hope all goes well with the infection, and then with the introductions.

Good to hear that your prompt attention caught the respiratory infection before it got too bad. Hope all goes well with the infection, and then with the introductions.
Thank you very much!

Don’t worry I still had hay in the cage! :) The carrier is just a lot smaller than his main cage obviously and I didn’t want they hay right in his face. But I did end up putting a small pile in there for him. :)
Sorry @Shelby. I totally misunderstood. I thought you were keeping her off hay altogether. Glad she's on the road to recovery.

Sorry @Shelby. I totally misunderstood. I thought you were keeping her off hay altogether. Glad she's on the road to recovery.
It’s totally ok :) You were just trying to help and I totally get how there could’ve been some miscommunication. Turns out it wasn’t even the hay anyways :D

Back