• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Overweight guinea pig :((

AlbertePedersen

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi everybody, I need help.
My guinea pig is a male of 1,5 years. He loves food, and can be very unhappy if he doesn't feel like he has gotten enough food or exactly the food that he wants. My problem now is that he has become incredibly overweight. I can no longer feel his ribs or spine.
I have read that it may be due to pellets, and so I will give him less of it. In addition, I will give him more hay. Is there anything else I should do or possibly not do. I would love to hear your advice.
I would love to hear if you guys know some fun games or ways that i can give him food?

// Alberte.

My guinea pig is a male of 1,5 years. He loves food, and can be very unhappy if he doesn't feel like he has gotten enough food or exactly the food that he wants. My problem now is that he has become incredibly overweight. I can no longer feel his ribs or spine.
I have read that it may be due to pellets, and so I will give him less of it. In addition, I will give him more hay. Is there anything else I should do or possibly not do. I would love to hear your advice.
I would love to hear if you guys know some fun games or ways that i can give him food?

// Alberte.
Give 1 table spoon of pellets per pig per day. Try using science selective grain free pellets if possible, they are healthier. But dont switch nuggets straight over, gradually introduce them in the same bowl as the old ones until you end up 100% on the new ones.

Definitly up the hay intake to 80% of the diet, keep giving fresh hay when you think it looks old or has been peed on alot. One tip is to use timothy hay, never use alfalfa its high in calcium.

As for games, stuffing the hay inside a brown paper bag really entertains guinea pigs, they love the rustling sounds and tearing new holes in the bag. Be careful of handles though, cut them off first.

And as for veg, even though you didnt ask but... if you are feeding alot of carrot, cut it right back, its not very good for guinea pigs as an everyday food👍.

Then give as much floor time as you can, unless you have a huge c and c ( then not as important) cage, this will burn some fat off☺.

This is personally what i would do with the knowledge i have so far. But I'm sure more members will be here soon to help with more ideas. Every pig will always try to guilt trip you for food by looking sad and begging, and its really hard not to give in lol

Last edited by a moderator:

// Alberte.

Hi and welcome!

Over 80% of the daily food intake needs to be hay, hay, hay. Pellets should be only 1 tablespoon per piggy per day and veg should be given only in a carefully balanced mix and in small quantities. No treats - you REALLY need to be hard. Please stay off any fattening veg like root veg, sweetcorn and any grain based pellets as well as anything containing alfalfa/lucerne. Opt for timothy based pellets instead.

Please follow the advice in these two guides here; you will find them very helpful:
Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets (includes a sample diet)
The Importance Of Weighing - Ideal Weight / Overweight / Underweight (includes tips on how to combine feeding with exercise in order to help the weight coming down)

Do you know how many/much veggies in grams i should give him a day. I find it hard to know if i am giving him too much. How many veggies are you feeding one guinea pig a day?

Do you know how many/much veggies in grams i should give him a day. I find it hard to know if i am giving him too much. How many veggies are you feeding one guinea pig a day?

Instead of weighing in grams, we have included a picture of our sample diet, so you can see for yourself just about how much of what you should feed. Our sample diet is nutritionally balanced and can be fed as it is. Much easier! ;)

How heavy is your piggy?
If you are feeding a sensible diet and you think that he’s still too heavy it may be that he is simply a big boy.
I have a chunky teddy girl whose normal weight is around 1300g - she’s fit and healthy and active.

You also have to remember that piggies are just furry appetites and will plead starvation about 5 minutes after being fed

He is my second guinea pig, my other one is a very small boar, the weights around 1100 gram, and he is just fine. My overweight guinea pig is around 1600-1700 gram, but he is a big boy. But i would like him to lose a bit of weight, since i can see that he is overweight, and i no longer can feel his spine and ribs.

He is my second guinea pig, my other one is a very small boar, the weights around 1100 gram, and he is just fine. My overweight guinea pig is around 1600-1700 gram, but he is a big boy. But i would like him to lose a bit of weight, since i can see that he is overweight, and i no longer can feel his spine and ribs.

With our diet recommendations and a hay based diet you should be able to reduce the weight. Guinea pigs have a fast metabolism. Try to also get your boy to move around without frightening him. Exercise in adult piggies is not easy; but making him work for his vegetables is a good way of getting him moving if you train him to come to you or follow you around for another bite of his dinner. :)
Sprinkling any pellets are around will also encourage him to forage.

Are your two boys living together or next to each other for mutual stimulation and interaction?

PS: My Hywel was as fat as that at the height of his life. But being top of his harem of up to 13 sows meant that he did get more than is fair share... My huge but hen-pecked Pioden on the other side is huge but is weighing only 1300g on the edge over underweight (ribs rather noticeable but not sticking out) - he could easily pack a few hundred grams more if his wifes let him have first share. ;)

Back