• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Popcorn bby

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Everyone, my guinea pig Popcorn (female, 4.5 years old), is suffering from a URI. She's currently lethargic, is sneezing more than usual, sometimes makes a crackling sound, and is breathing quite loudly every once in a while. She still has some energy, as she has ran a tiny bit (but fast). She also was just eating hay and drank a bit of water when i gave it to her. However based on her condition, I'm really terrified that she might worsen over night. She is breathing quite rapidly and loudly. We have to wait 7 hours until we can take her to the vet. Do you think she'll be fine until then?

Everyone, my guinea pig Popcorn (female, 4.5 years old), is suffering from a URI. She's currently lethargic, is sneezing more than usual, sometimes makes a crackling sound, and is breathing quite loudly every once in a while. She still has some energy, as she has ran a tiny bit (but fast). She also was just eating hay and drank a bit of water when i gave it to her. However based on her condition, I'm really terrified that she might worsen over night. She is breathing quite rapidly and loudly. We have to wait 7 hours until we can take her to the vet. Do you think she'll be fine until then?

Hi!

Please start syringe feeding her carefully to make sure that the guts keep going.

Be cause the need to breathe comes before the need to drink and only thirdly the need to eat, loss of appetite (and therefore lethargy) is a common symptom of URI and pneumonia.

Please follow the detailed tips on how to feed and water very ill piggies safely with what you have at home in an emergency without getting anything down the wrong way. The guide also contains other improvised measures what you can take during the bridging gap.
If you can, google for emergency or 24 hour vet services in your area.
I have collected all the emergency and crisis care information in this comprehensive link here: Emergency, Crisis and Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment

Please ask your vet not just for antibiotics but also for diuretics to help clear the airways as quickly as possible. Be aware that it takes at least 1-2 days for the medication to kick in fully; you need to continue your support care until your piggy is able to hold their weight.

Fingers very firmly crossed!

Hi!

Please start syringe feeding her carefully to make sure that the guts keep going.

Be cause the need to breathe comes before the need to drink and only thirdly the need to eat, loss of appetite (and therefore lethargy) is a common symptom of URI and pneumonia.

Please follow the detailed tips on how to feed and water very ill piggies safely with what you have at home in an emergency without getting anything down the wrong way. The guide also contains other improvised measures what you can take during the bridging gap.
I have collected all the emergency and crisis care information in this comprehensive link here: Emergency, Crisis and Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment

Please ask your vet not just for antibiotics but also for diuretics to help clear the airways as quickly as possible. Be aware that it takes at least 1-2 days for the medication to kick in fully; you need to continue your support care until your piggy is able to hold their weight.

Thank you soooo much for all this info! I really needed it. As of right now, she is still eating and drinking water. I have the humidifier running right next to their cage, so hopefully that helps a bit. My other piggie got it as well, as i didn't seperate them soon enough, my mistake. I'll read the article and make sure to ask the vet for diuretics as well. It's currently 3AM so only 4.5 hours more before we can see the vet! I'll keep you posted, and once again, thank you. My babies are strong, they'll get through this. 😊

Hi!

Hi!

She seems to have lost appetite. I'll give her some critical care in 10 minutes. I'm really scared she's gonna have more trouble breathing. What should i do if this happens?

Hi!

Also, I know this seems like a bit late for me to ask just now, but what's a diuretic? Also, how fast should her stomach be moving? It's moving a little bit but still rapidly.

I dont know what to say or what to do so all I can say is get well soon and never give up hope! Believe that she will make it!

I dont know what to say or what to do so all I can say is get well soon and never give up hope! Believe that she will make it!

I'm almost sure she is! This may sound cheesy but she taught me to never give up so now it's my time to teach her the same. She's the strongest, i have faith she'll get through this no matter what. Thank you for the positivity😊

Update!
We took them to the vet and turns out my other piggie Pumpkin has a but worse of a case than popcorns. They are starting them both on antibiotics for a week, and if we don't see results then they will give us a stronger one. They're also giving us a probiotic to help the good bacteria. I know uri is serious in all cases though, so please send well wishes and prayers to both my piggies. Thank you all for helping, you really helped keep me in check this whole time. And I'll make sure to update when they're all better again, which i know they will be:))

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP.

My guinea pig popcorn's stomach is going in and out very quickly. She's being very active and eating very well but being able to breathe is before anything. Please, help me.

Back