• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Possible Ringworm In New Piggie

FleurElizabethA

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
So yesterday in our boy piggie (Approx 11 weeks old) I noticed a bald flaky looking patch at the bottom of his back. Called the shop we got him from to ask what we needed to do etcetc. I've ordered the spot on stuff he's suggested for if it isn't ringworm but honestly from everything I've seen it looks exactly the same and today, he's got another patch.
I've read so much on here and seen a ton of videos of the LA guinea pig rescue, despite being in the UK haha! That using an anti fungal cream that we use ourselves can be good for treating it as well as washing him with a head and shoulders type of shampoo.
My main question is however, that because Hagrid clearly has something, Our other pig Draco - Same age and sex- has been rumblestrutting around a lot more. If we bathe only Hagrid, will Draco attack or try to hurt him in some way?
I had a hamster as a child that did this to its pal.
Also, is there anything else anyone can suggest that can help him get better? I obviously will be taking him to the vets if I don't see any improvement in him in the next day or two or if he worsens.
Feel awful for him, we've only had them both for just over 2 weeks😩 Didn't want either of them feeling how Hagrid must be feeling!

Please do just take him to the vet, don’t be tempted to wait and see and definitely don’t use any off the shelf spot on, antifungal creams or head and shoulders shampoo (which is too harsh on their skin), as all you will do is delay getting the proper treatment prescribed by a vet, it can also hide the tell tale signs a vet needs to be able to make a diagnosis. We don’t recommend ever using any home treatment and instead always go straight to a vet. Off the shelf products are not strong enough to deal with any problems and can lead to resistance making treating a problem much harder (and of course you cannot disgnose a problem to even know which treatment to use). If it’s ringworm, its definitely going to get worse
As ringworm is highly transmissible to humans, exercise strict hygiene. Invest in some F10 (vet grade disinfectant, available from Amazon for example) to clean everything down, throw away anything which cannot be washed and hot wash any fleece bedding. Ringworm spores will be shed and will live in the environment for a very long time, so it is very important to be strict.

the guides below will help further

Ringworm: Hygiene And Pictures
New guinea pigs: Sexing, vet checks&customer rights, URI, ringworm and parasites

:agr: It’s much better to get the piggy seen by the vet for the correct diagnosis and then the correct treatment at the right strength for him.
Please do read the guides linked above, as if you do have a case of ringworm you will need to take precautions so that you don’t end up with it, too.

Regarding the dominance behaviours, they are coming up to their teens and being so what you are seeing may not have anything to do with the illness, as rumbling etc is a normal dominance behaviour and would be expected to be seen anyway. Please leave them together and keep an eye on them as you would any teen (or almost teen!) boar pair.

Hi everyone!
So yesterday in our boy piggie (Approx 11 weeks old) I noticed a bald flaky looking patch at the bottom of his back. Called the shop we got him from to ask what we needed to do etcetc. I've ordered the spot on stuff he's suggested for if it isn't ringworm but honestly from everything I've seen it looks exactly the same and today, he's got another patch.
I've read so much on here and seen a ton of videos of the LA guinea pig rescue, despite being in the UK haha! That using an anti fungal cream that we use ourselves can be good for treating it as well as washing him with a head and shoulders type of shampoo.
My main question is however, that because Hagrid clearly has something, Our other pig Draco - Same age and sex- has been rumblestrutting around a lot more. If we bathe only Hagrid, will Draco attack or try to hurt him in some way?
I had a hamster as a child that did this to its pal.
Also, is there anything else anyone can suggest that can help him get better? I obviously will be taking him to the vets if I don't see any improvement in him in the next day or two or if he worsens.
Feel awful for him, we've only had them both for just over 2 weeks😩 Didn't want either of them feeling how Hagrid must be feeling!

Hi!

Please have your piggy vet checked and properly diagnosed. You can reclaim any vet fees from the pet shop as part of your customer rights for having been in effect sold damaged ware and concentrate on getting some good quality veterinary strength treatments.
Here is the detailed information: New guinea pigs: Sexing, vet checks&customer rights, URI, ringworm and parasites

We strongly do not recommend home diagnosing and DIY treatment, as we are the place that is often picking up the medical and emotional pieces when that goes wrong, especially when it goes horribly wrong.

It is ultimately much cheaper and less stressful for both you and your piggies if you do it correctly than risking a long drawn out battle and in the end landing at the vet's with a much more advanced case and having wasted a lot of money and time in between. Be aware that conditions in the USA and UK are not the same - vet care is much less accessible and much more expensive in the USA where guinea pigs are typically a teenager's pet so some of the advice does note translate well and has to be judged on the background of the conditions in another country. Vet access is a lot easier and there is a much wider range of vets available in this country.
We have got a recommended vets locator on the top bar.

Creaming will only treat the affected areas but not the full extent of them and while you can get away with a one-off application of human antifungal shampoo, it is very harsh on guinea pig skin as we have found from trying it all over the years. There are by now better and much more effective products and treatments and have been for most of the last decade where we don't see the kind of repeated outbreaks like with the creaming method.

Whether you are dealing with mites or ringworm, please be aware that pet shops are not allowed to sell vet grade medical products; only the low grade 'prevention' stuff that is not strong enough to cut through an acute outbreak and that in the case of mange mites can contribute to long term resistance issues. We only have a couple of effective active ingredients against potentially fatal mange mites and we should take care that they stay effective.

The biggest problem with ringworm is its contagiousness and the fact that the invisible spores can stay live for up to two years. Good hygiene and as little direct contact is of utmost importance if you want to wage that battle only once.
Please take the time to carefully read and follow the advice in our Ringworm Care guide. We have had time to find all the pitfalls and how to work out around them. We have also proven often enough that the tips in the guide really work - from two piggies to a whole room full.
Here is the link: Ringworm: Hygiene And Pictures

That's brilliant thankyou for sending the links!
There's definitely varying advice on the internet so I'm pleased I came onto here to ask. I'll get the vet called in the morning and get him seen to ASAP rather than trying to bathe or use anything on him!
Thankyou for the help! X

Regarding the dominance behaviours, they are coming up to their teens and being so what you are seeing may not have anything to do with the illness, as rumbling etc is a normal dominance behaviour and would be expected to be seen anyway. Please leave them together and keep an eye on them as you would any teen (or almost teen!) boar pair.

Thankyou! I wasn't sure if it was in reaction to the other not being 100% and wanted to make sure I wasn't going to wake up to an even poorlier piggy! X

:agr: It’s much better to get the piggy seen by the vet for the correct diagnosis and then the correct treatment at the right strength for him.
Please do read the guides linked above, as if you do have a case of ringworm you will need to take precautions so that you don’t end up with it, too.

Thankyou, I'm going to call the vets in the morning and hopefully get them in! Such varying things on the internet and I'm not wanting to do anything that will upset the piggies, even in the few weeks we've had them, I couldn't imagine being without them even while they're still a bit skittish at present X

Please do just take him to the vet, don’t be tempted to wait and see and definitely don’t use any off the shelf spot on, antifungal creams or head and shoulders shampoo (which is too harsh on their skin), as all you will do is delay getting the proper treatment prescribed by a vet, it can also hide the tell tale signs a vet needs to be able to make a diagnosis. We don’t recommend ever using any home treatment and instead always go straight to a vet. Off the shelf products are not strong enough to deal with any problems and can lead to resistance making treating a problem much harder (and of course you cannot disgnose a problem to even know which treatment to use). If it’s ringworm, its definitely going to get worse
As ringworm is highly transmissible to humans, exercise strict hygiene. Invest in some F10 (vet grade disinfectant, available from Amazon for example) to clean everything down, throw away anything which cannot be washed and hot wash any fleece bedding. Ringworm spores will be shed and will live in the environment for a very long time, so it is very important to be strict.

the guides below will help further

Ringworm: Hygiene And Pictures
New guinea pigs: Sexing, vet checks&customer rights, URI, ringworm and parasites

They have a hidey house type thing in their cage, it's not plastic and it's not wooden... The roof part can be eaten if that makes any sense? Would that need to be thrown out also?

I'm calling the vets tomorrow morning to get him seen, hopefully as soon as possible!
Thankyou for the help! It's really appreciated X

They have a hidey house type thing in their cage, it's not plastic and it's not wooden... The roof part can be eaten if that makes any sense? Would that need to be thrown out also?

I'm calling the vets tomorrow morning to get him seen, hopefully as soon as possible!
Thankyou for the help! It's really appreciated X

A carrot cottage? Id throw it out if you get a ringworm diagnosis

Hi everyone!
But of an update... I called the vets but unfortunately the one we have isn't taking appointments unless it's an emergency but I did manage to speak to the nurse and explained all to her. She said it sounds more like mites. We've now treated both piggies with the spot on treatment and hopefully it'll get better soon!

It's the Beaphar spot on treatment. Does anyone have any idea on how long it takes for it to take action or to notice if it has worked? Tried online but not getting very far in finding out!
Hagrid- The infected Piggy, also hasn't gotten anymore patches or itched and scratched anymore than usual since yesterday too, so fingers crossed he'll be all better soon!

Thankyou all for the advice, it's very appreciated!Xx

Hi everyone!
But of an update... I called the vets but unfortunately the one we have isn't taking appointments unless it's an emergency but I did manage to speak to the nurse and explained all to her. She said it sounds more like mites. We've now treated both piggies with the spot on treatment and hopefully it'll get better soon!

It's the Beaphar spot on treatment. Does anyone have any idea on how long it takes for it to take action or to notice if it has worked? Tried online but not getting very far in finding out!
Hagrid- The infected Piggy, also hasn't gotten anymore patches or itched and scratched anymore than usual since yesterday too, so fingers crossed he'll be all better soon!

Thankyou all for the advice, it's very appreciated!Xx

to treat mites effectively if needs to be done as part of a three treatment course with the correct gap between each treatment, sl it’ll be weeks and all three treatments before you can say they are definitely better
its often the case that the off the shelf treatment are strong enough to effectively deal with it so do be prepared

to treat mites effectively if needs to be done as part of a three treatment course with the correct gap between each treatment, sl it’ll be weeks and all three treatments before you can say they are definitely better
its often the case that the off the shelf treatment are strong enough to effectively deal with it so do be prepared

Thankyou, I didnt know that and the box certainly didn't say as such either. Do you know how long the gap between treatments would be at all if using the Baephar Spot on? I have two mose doses left so will buy another box for the third dosage X

Thankyou, I didnt know that and the box certainly didn't say as such either. Do you know how long the gap between treatments would be at all if using the Baephar Spot on? I have two mose doses left so will buy another box for the third dosage X

A treatment will only kill live mites, not the eggs. So the first treatment kills those live mites. The eggs already in existence will hatch. They are then caught by the second treatment. The third treatment makes sure they are all definitely gone.

I can’t comment on specifics about the beaphar spot on because I’ve never used it

Back