• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Prepping For Post-op Care

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parnassus

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi all! I've been casually documenting my preparations to take care of Blade after her spay tomorrow! It's my first time having a guinea pig in for any surgery, so I'm quite nervous. The best way I can settle my nerves is to prepare for anything!

Here's Blade (chocolate satin, white pants) having epic floor time with her BFF Whistler (gray, tan) before surgery and separation.

4BYSuEl.jpg

Here's some extra loot I picked up to stock supplies! We have an extra pellet dish (so each pig gets one), Pedialyte (guinealynx recommends having some on-hand if Blade doesn't drink enough water), and a special thick heating pad to give her some extra warmth during recovery.

And here is a walkthrough of the hospital-inspired bedding I made so I can easily determine if Blade is bleeding or pussing, and to change out the bedding without really having to move her or pick her up for the first few days!

0cznLwV.jpg

C&C cage is split in half so Whistler can't get to Blade's incision spot. :( I added a lid to Whistler's half, because the last time I tried to separate them, Whistler jumped clear over the fence separating them!

Wish us luck! And is there anything else you've done for your guinea pigs post-op that really helped them through it?

Syringe feeding supplies I always have at hand. Plenty of 1ml syringes with the ends trimmed off, some critical care and pellets to mush up.

I try to stock up on their favourite food when they're recovering from surgery. So I buy or defrost some sweetcorn leaves. And I'll treat them to a bag of Oxbow hay. I make sure I pick out a good stack of seed heads for them as the pigs think they're the best.

Awwww good luck Blade! It seems you're very prepared and I'm sure you'll look after her well. And whistler is a very loyal friend :)

Make sure the vet gives you adequate pain relief to give at home, I would recommend some emeprid also as a gut stimulant as food uptake will probably be less than usual

Have a read of this thread also Tips For Post-operative Care

Sending lots of healing vibes and love to her x

Thanks all! Blade is not doing terribly, but we're not out of the woods just yet.

After getting home last night, she was eating a little (pellets, veg and probiotics). But she wasn't eating and drinking enough on her own, and didn't poop in the cage for hours. So, we started giving critical care. She hates critical care, so I'm liking that she's fighting us on taking it. Gotta have energy for that!

She gobbled up her medicine this morning (Metacam + Metaclopramide + probiotics). Had to fight her over the critical care again (yay!). The incision spot looks good, no swelling, no blood, no pus, and she isn't trying to "get at it" at all.

About 6 of her poops came out out a bit misshapen and about 3 were a little on the runny side, so I'm watching those poops closely.

She still isn't eating or drinking much on her own, but the vet tech I spoke with this morning says she's doing better than expected right now; some piggies they've seen refuse any food or water for days after surgery, so here's hoping we're on the upswing!

I'm still worrying a lot and watching closely. And offering water my syringe as much as possible.
Ooof. Get better, Blade! My heart hurts! :wub:

Sometimes it takes a day or two for them to come around, especially if a strong pain medication was given so fingers crossed she brightens up soon.

Get well soon Blade!

During my lunch break today, I noticed she was more alert and mobile, and caught our girl playing with her wicker ball!

And she's started drinking water all on her own!

So Blade, is doing pretty well so far! She's eating and drinking fairly normally now, (Day 3 post-op).

She's fighting any critical care at this point, and even resorting to nipping us! So we're giving a bit less than on day 1 (10-15ml instead of the full 40ml).

Question: Her sides are looking deflated -- is that expected from the surgery? When I checked her incision this morning I also felt her belly, and it felt pretty good/full! Just curious if that's just her new "look".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back