• You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

Ramp Trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

CharlotteR34

Junior Guinea Pig
I purchased a new cage for my piggies with two floors,I have two boys, I left them to it and hoped their curiosity would encourage them to go down/up it however I had no such luck so I tried placing some veggies down it hoping it would entice them down, again no such luck! I also tried putting one on the bottom level and one on the top level and still nothing! I have bannisters on the side, I don't thibk it's too steep as I have seen piggies use a steeper one but I don't know what else to do! I'm worried I've wasted money on getting them this bigger cage as I know it will benefit them when they fight for dominance that they can go and have more space from each other but I'm running out of ideas, can anyone help? I've uploaded a picture also.

14813152745531212287023.jpg

BossHogg

Administrator
Staff member
The sides need to bigger, if you can raise the bottom of the ramp slightly so the incline is less steep and use carpet on the base of the ramp, you'll find they should use it, I'll dig out a photo of my ramp. ;)

CharlotteR34

Junior Guinea Pig
The sides need to bigger, if you can raise the bottom of the ramp slightly so the incline is less steep and use carpet on the base of the ramp, you'll find they should use it, I'll dig out a photo of my ramp. ;)
The problem I have with the sides is that the ramp came without the sides originally and I got someone to make them for me however that person has moved across the country! What would you suggest to make them higher and also what would you suggest to help raise the ramp so it's less steep? I will invest in some carpet to fix onto it so thank you :)

BossHogg

Administrator
Staff member
As you can see, I used a litter tray to raise the ramp and used a large plastic foot off an old sofa. ;)

CharlotteR34

Junior Guinea Pig
Okay thank you, would I be tempting fate if I left one piggie on the top and one on the bottom? They didn't seem phased when I did it for a couple of hours before and they were quiet and more relaxed, I just don't want them to be unhappy if their not together cause otherwise they rumblestrut a lot, I don't know if that's stressing them out more?

CharlotteR34

Junior Guinea Pig
As you can see, I used a litter tray to raise the ramp and used a large plastic foot off an old sofa. ;)
Okay thank you, would I be tempting fate if I left one piggie on the top and one on the bottom? They didn't seem phased when I did it for a couple of hours before and they were quiet and more relaxed, I just don't want them to be unhappy if their not together, otherwise they rumblestrut a lot, I don't know if that's stressing them out more? I just want them to be as happy as they can be and I've only had them 5 months so I'm still learning myself!

BossHogg

Administrator
Staff member
They'll just be establishing a hierarchy, Wiebke will be the best to advise you next time she's on the forum, she's an expert in all things piggy related. ;)

CharlotteR34

Junior Guinea Pig
They'll just be establishing a hierarchy, Wiebke will be the best to advise you next time she's on the forum, she's an expert in all things piggy related. ;)

Okay thank you, if there was a way for her to see my post and pass on my question to her id be very grateful! Thanks a lot for all your advice this evening!

Swissgreys

Forum Buddy
How long have they been in the cage with the ramp?
All of mine are expert ramp users, but it did take them a few days.
Maybe they just need a bit more time.
Personally I wouldn't enforce a separation. I would leave them together and they will eventually work it out.

Wiebke

Staff member
Hi!

Please have a read through these guides here to be able to judge guinea pig behaviour better and to see whether it is just normal dominance behaviour or whether it is veering into bullying. Please do not separate too quickly; which is something that anxious owners are prone to. As long as they are not fighting or acutely bullying, you have to let your piggies sort it out between them in their own time and way.
Illustrated Bonding / Dominance Behaviours And Dynamics
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs
Boars: Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?

CharlotteR34

Junior Guinea Pig
How long have they been in the cage with the ramp?
All of mine are expert ramp users, but it did take them a few days.
Maybe they just need a bit more time.
Personally I wouldn't enforce a separation. I would leave them together and they will eventually work it out.

They've had the cage for a couple weeks now, they've gone down it with a little encouragement from my hand but unable to get back up, I've took BossHoggs advice and attached carpet to it so hopefully this will help. I'm unable to raise the ramp properly at the minute cause I haven't got anything to help but for the meantime I'll see how they get on with the carpet!

CharlotteR34

Junior Guinea Pig
I've seen some people put a brick under the ramp to raise it up a bit.
That's a good idea Julie! Thanks a lot for the suggestion! I will find something to put under it, need to have a good brainstorm or nick a couple of bricks from somewhere

Status
Not open for further replies.