• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Emergency Really Worried - Piggy badly straining and not eating

Thank you so much for your advice x:tu:

I am keeping my fingers firmly crossed! Hopefully the op is coming in time. It is always difficult when it happens in the evenings or on weekends as I know from my own experiences with emergencies where time is of the essence.

Take consolation that you have done exactly what any caring owner should do: do have given him a change and have made sure that he is in the most comfort he can be so he is not left suffering. You can never choose what or when something happens; all you can do is your best under the circumstances - which you have done!

Can you see whether another vet will operate today as a life or death emergency? This cannot wait until tomorrow!

If you feel overwhelmed by your fears, please try to commute the energy of your emotions by sending it onto your boy in the form of loving and healing energy. Praying is another way that does the same if that is coming to you more easily.
The wait for hearing back is always the worst time in my own experience as whatever happens, it can't be worse than your own imagination! :(

Oh dear that doesnt sound good, is he still able to pass urine at all? If he cant then the surgery is very urgent :(
He is able to pass some yes. The vet seemed to think he will be fine over night 🙄 He’s still trying to expel the stone though 😣 x

He is able to pass some yes. The vet seemed to think he will be fine over night 🙄 He’s still trying to expel the stone though 😣 x

OK! That takes it out of the immediate race for life category and makes the decision more understandable.

I sincerely hope that using an operating vet/team with more experience in small animal ops will do the trick and give your boy a better chance at making it through the op. ;)

Fingers still very firmly crossed until then!

Good luck, sweet JimJim. 💕
and to you, excellent piggy parent. 😊

I am keeping my fingers firmly crossed! Hopefully the op is coming in time. It is always difficult when it happens in the evenings or on weekends as I know from my own experiences with emergencies where time is of the essence.

Take consolation that you have done exactly what any caring owner should do: do have given him a change and have made sure that he is in the most comfort he can be so he is not left suffering. You can never choose what or when something happens; all you can do is your best under the circumstances - which you have done!

Can you see whether another vet will operate today as a life or death emergency? This cannot wait until tomorrow!

If you feel overwhelmed by your fears, please try to commute the energy of your emotions by sending it onto your boy in the form of loving and healing energy. Praying is another way that does the same if that is coming to you more easily.
The wait for hearing back is always the worst time in my own experience as whatever happens, it can't be worse than your own imagination! :(
The vet did examine him, and looked at his X-ray, he said because he can pass some urine then it’s not as urgent as a pig not passing any. He is booked in for 8am. He has seemed more comfortable today, and not been straining as often, we have more painkillers to give him also. He’s not eating and drinking, but vet said because he’s had fluid he be ok for tonight 🤷🏼‍♀️ It’s so tough, but rest assured he’s getting lots of love x

OK! That takes it out of the immediate race for life category and makes the decision more understandable.

I sincerely hope that using an operating vet/team with more experience in small animal ops will do the trick and give your boy a better chance at making it through the op. ;)

Fingers still very firmly crossed until then!
I hope so too, he is so loved 😍 x

Are you able to get him seen at another practice? If he isn't able to pass urine, this is a welfare issue and the vet shouldn't make him wait!
No I can’t sadly, but he has had a check up today and the vet said because he is passing some urine it’s a good sign, he’s had another antibiotic and he’s got ,ore painkillers for later x

The vet did examine him, and looked at his X-ray, he said because he can pass some urine then it’s not as urgent as a pig not passing any. He is booked in for 8am. He has seemed more comfortable today, and not been straining as often, we have more painkillers to give him also. He’s not eating and drinking, but vet said because he’s had fluid he be ok for tonight 🤷🏼‍♀️ It’s so tough, but rest assured he’s getting lots of love x
You are doing a wonderful job advocating for your piggy.
But he really needs to be eating something otherwise it may be difficult to get his stomach working again after a period of time without food.
You really need to step in and start syringe feeding him asap.

We have a guide here:
Not Eating, Weight Loss And The Importance Of Syringe Feeding Fibre

Hi, sorry for the delay in my reply. We are back at the PDSA as we not happy he’s not drinking and eating, and they didn’t give us any painkiller as we first thought, it was an antibiotic, and we were worried about him. Anyway they have admitted him to monitor him, and to keep his fluid up, and give pain relief as needed. His bladder is full and hard now too, so he’s in the best place now and will be ready for his op in the morning. So here’s hoping it’s good news tomorrow’s op 🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼
Thanks for all your help and well wishes and advice. Will let you know tomorrow when I hear x

Hope your piggy managed to get the op and is comfortable now.
The vet rang me to say the op had gone well, and they were just waiting for him to come round after the anaesthetic so not out of the woods but looking fine. Then she called me bk 2 mins later and said he had passed. So we are absolutely heart broken 💔😭😭😭

The vet rang me to say the op had gone well, and they were just waiting for him to come round after the anaesthetic so not out of the woods but looking fine. Then she called me bk 2 mins later and said he had passed. So we are absolutely heart broken 💔😭😭😭
Oh god, love, I am so sorry. My heart is breaking for you.

I know it is so hard but try to find peace in that you did absolutely everything you could, you showed him love and gave him a chance that not all piggy’s get.

Popcorn free, sweet boy, over the rainbow bridge.💕💕

Holding you all in my heart. ❤️

Oh I'm so sorry to hear this news, you did everything you could and it is so cruel that the outcome was this. I'm sure you'll be feeling utterly terrible right now as you grieve but please take some comfort in the love Jimmy has received on here in such a short space of time. He was clearly a very special piggie x

Back