• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Emergency Rebecca Might Have Bloat Or Water Retention?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PiggyOinkOink

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I was giving Rebecca a cut and blow dry earlier and I noticed that when I would hold her up in my palm (she is a runner!), I heard what sounded like water does when it's inside a bottle and rushing to one side and making a 'plop' sound. I thought it was her squeaking to not be held but I tilted my hand a few times and the same noise would appear. I'm not sure whether she had just drunk but she has always been the fattest piggy and likes to sit around a lot, so I just thought she was a fat pig but perhaps she is bloated or has water retention? I always notice that, come time for a cut, her nether regions are always soaked with pee, but I thought that I might have picked her up when she just went or it's because she just sits around a lot, but when I was cutting her hair I noticed that it had stuck together so perhaps she is peeing a lot.

She has never been to the vet so I think I will make an appointment for her as I'm a bit concerned despite her not appearing to be in pain. Does any of this sound like classic symptoms of anything?

Fluid bloat does sound like sloshing but she would be lethargic and miserable as it makes them feel lousy. Is she ok in herself generally and eating and pooing ok?

Please have her seen promptly by a vet. If she is not eating normally or is looking unwell/in discomfort, then it could be an emergency.

My long-haired ladies (Lulu and Ivy) both suffer with wet bum hair, due to the length of the hair around there - it gets sat upon - and especially Lulu isn't much of a mover. I keep the hair short at the back, but they still need a bum wash regularly. I would see the vet if you are worried (it's always best to be sure), but if she is well in herself, I wouldn't have thought it was bloat. If she does have a urinary problem, she may be constantly dribbling, so getting her checked out is probably wise as it's harder to tell with longer coats.

I noticed that when I picked her up today her bum was (very slightly) wet despite me cutting it to nothing. I cut her sister's bum hair and she did not appear to be wet so I am coming to the conclusion that she might have some urinary issues or just be lying in her pee a lot - which is not realistic since I have fleece and it should wick to the bottom. I noticed that her stomach did not seem as bloated today and I am going to take her to the vet for sure.

:hmm:There is a test , flick your finger lightly on the tummy , and notice whether the sound is a sharp sound, or a hollow sound.
If you are not sure pratice on a baloon !

But in all honesty it is never worth tacking chances with these type of D.I.Y tests as they are far to inconclusive .

If it were my pig l would phone a out of hours vet, as if it were bloat or some other tummy disorder it can be fatal very quicly

Just thought ld add , do not try any human bloat meds, unless recomended by your vet, as you could
Turn many little pocets of gas into one big possebaly painfull ball of gas

Oh no for sure. I never give them anything unless I have read it online (here usually) or the vet has recommended it.

It could explain why she has a tendency to sit down a lot and not move much since she has just been uncomfortable all the time. Though, she is a lazy and bossy bitch otherwise so it might not be anything lol

She's fine. She has had it for months now I think about it so it's nothing new. I always just thought she was a fat pig and also didn't move very much so that's why she was so fat compared to the others but she is overdue for a 1st visit to the vet! She is 1.75 yrs old so nearly through a 1/3 of her life at the least.

She's fine. She has had it for months now I think about it so it's nothing new. I always just thought she was a fat pig and also didn't move very much so that's why she was so fat compared to the others but she is overdue for a 1st visit to the vet! She is 1.75 yrs old so nearly through a 1/3 of her life at the least.

Please have her checked over by a vet.

This thread here can help you find out whether she is fine for her size or overweight and what you can do about it: The Importance Of Weighing - Ideal Weight / Overweight / Underweight

In that case then she must be suffering from bloat as her weight is in the normal range but her belly is always fuller than everyone else's.

Rebecca Weight.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back