• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Red stuff around eye

HeatherW

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Does anyone know what this could be? It only appears on Jasmine's right eye. I took her and Pickle to the vet yesterday about excessive scratching caused by mites (which are now gone, thankfully) and now this has appeared out of nowhere. Her eye is otherwise normal (if a little bit red in the corner) - blinking, not cloudy, no weeping, etc. - and Pickle doesn't have it.

I don't suppose Pickle could have been eating red pepper and then licked Jasmine's eye?! It looks like it could be blood and the goo appears to have come out of her eye, but there's no wound and no puncture. Could she have just lightly poked herself in the eye with hay?

IMG_20190529_093211.jpg
IMG_20190529_093200.jpg

Last edited:
Does anyone know what this could be? It only appears on Jasmine's right eye. I took her and Pickle to the vet yesterday about excessive scratching caused by mites (which are now gone, thankfully) and now this has appeared out of nowhere. Her eye is otherwise normal (if a little bit red in the corner) - blinking, not cloudy, no weeping, etc. - and Pickle doesn't have it.

I don't suppose Pickle could have been eating red pepper and then licked Jasmine's eye?! It looks like it could be blood and the goo appears to have come out of her eye, but there's no wound and no puncture. Could she have just lightly poked herself in the eye with hay?

View attachment 114342
View attachment 114343

Hi! Please have that vet vecked; it looks very sore, poor mite! :(

Could it be possible she tried to clean her eye so now it's only prominent around the eye? Hope she gets well soon :(

Could it be possible she tried to clean her eye so now it's only prominent around the eye? Hope she gets well soon :(

There's no more red stuff, but it still looks a little sore and red, and she's not opening it quite as wide as the other. She must have poked it not long before I saw it. I'm going to get it checked out in about 30 mins. :)

Also, I've realised in the photos that her eye is quite closed, but I have to say that's not unusual for Jasmine! She's a pretty relaxed pig, so I'm not too concerned that it's not that open in the photos!

There's no more red stuff, but it still looks a little sore and red, and she's not opening it quite as wide as the other. She must have poked it not long before I saw it. I'm going to get it checked out in about 30 mins. :)

Also, I've realised in the photos that her eye is quite closed, but I have to say that's not unusual for Jasmine! She's a pretty relaxed pig, so I'm not too concerned that it's not that open in the photos!
Did the vet find anything?

Did the vet find anything?

Jasmine was the best patient today! The vet said her eye looked inflamed, but there wasn't any foreign object in it and an bright yellow eye drop showed no sign of an ulcer either. Whatever happened, it's already healing and going in the right direction, so was happy to not prescribe anything. If it's not better by Saturday morning, I can get some eye drops for it then. :)

Jasmine was the best patient today! The vet said her eye looked inflamed, but there wasn't any foreign object in it and an bright yellow eye drop showed no sign of an ulcer either. Whatever happened, it's already healing and going in the right direction, so was happy to not prescribe anything. If it's not better by Saturday morning, I can get some eye drops for it then. :)
That's great news :)

Back