• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Rescue Pig Health Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

crnyng

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I posted before about rescueing/adopting a two year old female that had static lice/hay mites. I picked her up today and my god poor girl. Her water bottle had algae growing all over it, her food bowl had mold at the bottom in the crevasses, but my biggest concern is her skin! Her dander is SO bad. She has chunks and chunks of her skin just all in her hair. It looks as if I have took a pinch of dirt and threw it on her back end. In her colics I rubbed on her skin to see how it felt and it was rough and course as if she has gunk built up but I'm sure that's the patches of dry skin. She is dark skinned on her back half but white/creamy colored fur. The photos do no justice but so you have an idea I have attached photos. I am posting this because I'm curious as to what some of you think it could more likely be. I know it's difficult to tell without seeing and knowing more but I'm curious anyhow so I know best how to help her. She itches of course, she has the chunks of skin/dander. I couldn't truly say it isn't fungal or mange but I'm guessing not seeing as the people I got her from said ever since they have had her she's had this issue; the dander. So seeing as she doesn't have bald patches or sores I'm ruling those two out for the time being (not completely). I do plan on calling my vet and setting an appointment but I would truly love some help on insight. Trying to figure if lice or mites is more likely but I'm just too overwhelmed with how neglected she was. She is such a sweetheart hasn't hid away or been too shy to come up to me or eat and etc. guess ultimately just curious to what some of you think.
Thanks in advance!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

She also, only sometimes, makes this strange.. Whimper noise? Reminds me of a baby who maybe is having a nightmare and it is only the tiniest of little whimpers. I noticed it when I was watching her, checking in to make sure everythings going okay, she was laying down to rest and she is doing this whimper thing every other breath or so. Also, I swear to god I hear her stomach gurgle like a humans does when hungry every so often but I never heard of such a thing so I keep wondering if it's maybe myself instead of her. She is the most precious sweet trusting thing, why did she have to be treated so poorly? She's been here with me for 4 hours only and she already comes up to the door and sleeps with her eyes closed.

image.jpg

I'm so sorry to hear she has been left in this state by her previous owner. She is with you now - and well done for taking her on.

Please refer to the information that was given in this thread by Alex 2016 and Wiebke

Recusing A Pig, Mites? Any Remedies?

She needs to be seen by a vet . There are no home remedies that can sort this problem out.

I know from you previous thread that you have rung a vet and had a "difficult" conversation. Please remember you were talking to a receptionist - it doesn't mean the vet will be like that .

The reason I was more so curious is because I do have the Lice N' Easy shampoo and was thinking of using it to see if it will help relieve anything for her. But I know if it is mites of any sort it wouldn't help. I do plan on calling the vet either way. However though, it was the actual veterinarian I spoke to beforehand, not the receptionist. Whenever I call I always ask for the veterinarian by name to speak too unless booking an appointment.

She also, only sometimes, makes this strange.. Whimper noise? Reminds me of a baby who maybe is having a nightmare and it is only the tiniest of little whimpers. I noticed it when I was watching her, checking in to make sure everythings going okay, she was laying down to rest and she is doing this whimper thing every other breath or so. Also, I swear to god I hear her stomach gurgle like a humans does when hungry every so often but I never heard of such a thing so I keep wondering if it's maybe myself instead of her. She is the most precious sweet trusting thing, why did she have to be treated so poorly? She's been here with me for 4 hours only and she already comes up to the door and sleeps with her eyes closed.

View attachment 45363

I am so sorry that she is in such a bad state. :(
Please have her seen by a knowledgeable vet as soon as possible. She may have fungal skin infection as well as skin parasites and you may need to treat her for both fungal and mites; the combination is not at all rare with neglected guinea pigs.

Perhaps this rescue here in Madison City, which is listed by Guinea Lynx as piggy savvy and of good standard can help you with tips, vet recommendatiosn and/or active support; it is the only one listed for your state: Guinea Lynx :: US Guinea Pig Rescue and Shelter Organizations

Guinea Lynx :: Fungus
Guinea Lynx :: Parasites
Gorgeous Guineas Photo gallery
Gorgeous Guineas Identification

The gurgling is like due to malnutrition. Make sure that she has got plenty of hay and fibre to get her guts on an even keel. Also make sure that you give her extra vitamin C to help boost her immune system. I would recommend to introduce any veg slowly and carefully in order to not upset the guts any further; start with fresh herbs and greens; they often go down best.
She likely could do with a bit of ranitidine (anti-gassing) and gut stimulant like metoclopramide.
Weigh her daily at the same time to monitor her food intake.

Please make sure that she doesn't have any pain and other health issues (i.e. a thorough vet check is advisable!), especially if she is wimpering in her sleep!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back