• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Rumble-strutting Piggie For 3+ Weeks?

nibblesandcoco

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
At the end of December, our 7 year old piggie Coco passed away, so we got our piggie Nibbles a new friend soon after to make sure she wasn't lonely, and her name is Charlotte. They have been housed together for almost 4 months now, but 3 weeks ago, Nibbles started to constantly rumble-strut while chasing and mounting Charlotte. Charlotte almost never catches a break anymore. Some days are better than others and it won't happen as much, but within the past couple of days we've had to keep them separated, which I hate doing since we have a Midwest cage & putting the divider in makes that cage so small. Charlotte is always stressed out and never can keep her guard down, while I also feel bad for Nibbles since I'm sure it's not normal for her to do this all of the time, and I don't know how to stop it. Someone help please, we don't want to separate them for good!

At the end of December, our 7 year old piggie Coco passed away, so we got our piggie Nibbles a new friend soon after to make sure she wasn't lonely, and her name is Charlotte. They have been housed together for almost 4 months now, but 3 weeks ago, Nibbles started to constantly rumble-strut while chasing and mounting Charlotte. Charlotte almost never catches a break anymore. Some days are better than others and it won't happen as much, but within the past couple of days we've had to keep them separated, which I hate doing since we have a Midwest cage & putting the divider in makes that cage so small. Charlotte is always stressed out and never can keep her guard down, while I also feel bad for Nibbles since I'm sure it's not normal for her to do this all of the time, and I don't know how to stop it. Someone help please, we don't want to separate them for good!

Please have Nibbles seen by an exotics vet for ovarian cysts. There are now alternatives to a spaying operation by hormone injections or implants for hormonal cysts that cause a sow to be in season nonstop.
Unfortunately, this is going to be an expensive ride, whichever way. :(
Guinea Lynx :: Ovarian Tumors

Please have Nibbles seen by an exotics vet for ovarian cysts. There are now alternatives to a spaying operation by hormone injections or implants for hormonal cysts that cause a sow to be in season nonstop. Unfortunately, this is going to be an expensive ride, whichever way.
Guinea Lynx :: Ovarian Tumors
The thing is, I don't know if my parents would want to take her to the vet at all. I've asked them before but they don't want to spend the money. I'm turning 18 in a month, so maybe I can take her myself? But I'm not sure if this is something that can wait or not.

The thing is, I don't know if my parents would want to take her to the vet at all. I've asked them before but they don't want to spend the money. I'm turning 18 in a month, so maybe I can take her myself? But I'm not sure if this is something that can wait or not.

It can wait, but it is going to cost you several hundreds of dollars. You may need to split the two girls with a divider if it is getting too much for her. Allow them interaction through the bars and shared time if necessary to keep the bond alive.

It can wait, but it is going to cost you several hundreds of dollars. You may need to split the two girls with a divider if it is getting too much for her. Allow them interaction through the bars and shared time if necessary to keep the bond alive.
We split them up with the divider, however I notice when I do that, the rumble-strutting stops. Is that significant? Because, although I'm no expert, I would think that the rumbling would continue even when she doesn't have access to Charlotte

Hey, I think one of my pigs was like yours. It was a few years ago so I didn't know about ovarian cysts, it was just put down to her being moody. They used to live together in a group of 5 piggies and they seemed to be comfortable. When we ended up just two of them, Polo and Corky they had to be separated as we came home one day to a cut on Polo's chin. Corky would rumblestrut at Polo everyday through the divider, but Polo didn't seem to mind and she is still with us now. I recommend you divide them. Surgery for ovarian cysts isn't a life or death situation, and if you cannot afford it you do not need to worry.

I have found a possible solution for the mounting situation. I have seen boars who this works for, so I'm not sure if it works for sows but it might be worth a try. Get her a small plush toy, it works best if its a ball, that is about the size of a guinea pigs rump. She may choose to mount that instead of the other pig, which allows your other one a bit of space. If it doesn't work then it isn't the end of the world.

Hey, I think one of my pigs was like yours. It was a few years ago so I didn't know about ovarian cysts, it was just put down to her being moody. They used to live together in a group of 5 piggies and they seemed to be comfortable. When we ended up just two of them, Polo and Corky they had to be separated as we came home one day to a cut on Polo's chin. Corky would rumblestrut at Polo everyday through the divider, but Polo didn't seem to mind and she is still with us now. I recommend you divide them. Surgery for ovarian cysts isn't a life or death situation, and if you cannot afford it you do not need to worry.

I have found a possible solution for the mounting situation. I have seen boars who this works for, so I'm not sure if it works for sows but it might be worth a try. Get her a small plush toy, it works best if its a ball, that is about the size of a guinea pigs rump. She may choose to mount that instead of the other pig, which allows your other one a bit of space. If it doesn't work then it isn't the end of the world.
They have been divided for the last couple of days, but I feel horrible. Their cage is too small when it's divided, and I feel bad for them. When they're apart, all they do is sleep and eat, but when they're together, Charlotte is so distressed with Nibbles always chasing her and mounting her. She lets out cries too. But that's a good idea; I hope it works! I just don't want them chewing on it because they tend to do that whenever I tried to introduce plush toys to them. Tonight I'm gonna take them out and put them on the floor in a big space so Charlotte has more room to get away. Thank you so much for the advice and the story, I'm glad things worked out between your pigs! :)

Back