• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Safe for flowers around piggies

Hannahb2804

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello just wondered if anyone could help me, when I get my piggies I’m planning to put them in my living room which is quite spacious, but I always buy flowers to put in there, would I be best stopping buying them as I know piggies have a sensitive sense of smell or are they ok to be near flowers?
Sorry if it seems like a silly question!😊

So long as the piggies can't get to the flowers and eat them, or petals etc fall off and get eaten they should be fine. Just to be safe tho I would avoid lillies, not sure how toxic they are to piggies but are fatal to cats including the pollen if ingested.

So long as the piggies can't get to the flowers and eat them, or petals etc fall off and get eaten they should be fine. Just to be safe tho I would avoid lillies, not sure how toxic they are to piggies but are fatal to cats including the pollen if ingested.
i’ve had cats and you can have lilies but you just have to cut out the polen coved bits in the middle and make sure none falls off (:

There are some flowers that Guineas eat, things like roses, pansies, echinacea, nasturtiums would be ideal, they would be piggy safe.
I would probably cut down on the amount of cut flowers just in case though, especially with strong smelling flowers like jonquil daffodils (I think they smell awful anyway) or potted plants like hyacinths, saying that these would both be best avoided as they're both toxic for Guineas (most flowers/plants from bulbs are).

I personally wouldn't have lilies in the house at all with any animals, as I was reading the other day about a cat that didn't come into direct contact with the lilies/pollen, but the vet still thinks that was the cause of its death :(

Humans can also be sensitive to the pollen. (the smell of them also makes me want to urge, so I'm not sure Guineas would like the smell of them either!)

I'm sure the occasional bouquet of flowers would generally be ok tho, as lots of Guinea owners keep them as pets indoors & probably have bunches of flowers as gifts.
Just be cautious that the plants can't be eaten, wherever they're positioned.

Xx

i’ve had cats and you can have lilies but you just have to cut out the polen coved bits in the middle and make sure none falls off (:
Yes, the pollen is very risky as all they need do is brush past it, get it on their fur and then ingest it when grooming. They go into acute liver failure and by the time symptoms show it is too late to save them. The whole of the plant is toxic even if they just chewed the leaves, I wouldn't want to risk it especially if there are young/curious cats in the house

Yes, the pollen is very risky as all they need do is brush past it, get it on their fur and then ingest it when grooming. They go into acute liver failure and by the time symptoms show it is too late to save them. The whole of the plant is toxic even if they just chewed the leaves, I wouldn't want to risk it especially if there are young/curious cats in the house
we’ve only ever had older rescue cats and i do agree, it’s just if someone gave it flowers (:

we’ve only ever had older rescue cats and i do agree, it’s just if someone gave it flowers (:
Yes it would be a shame to throw out a gift:( I just wanted to mention the full extent of the risk incase some one was reading this who was unaware :)

Back