• Potteries GPR Christmas Fair Saturday 16th November 2019 Information Click Here Come join us at the Forum Table at this Event.

Scared of being picked up?

F3RN

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi,

I’ve got two guinea-pigs Eric and Ernie (Eric is the black piggy in my picture and Ernie the blonde one). Earlier today Ernie jumped out of my hands and miraculously fell into a hanging basket so he didn’t fall on the ground! I think he’s okay, I’m keeping an eye on him but there doesn’t seem to be any injuries and his behaviour is normal - thank god!

I just wondered if anyone had any tips on handling nervous piggies? Eric is fine with being picked up and handled. But Ernie always panics when I pick him up and tries to jump out of my arms. It’s weird as well, because if I sit with him on my knee he loves it! But whenever I’m picking him up to put him in the outside run he panics... Has anyone got any advice? He seriously scared me earlier jumping out my arms so any advice would be really appreciated!

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,

I’ve got two guinea-pigs Eric and Ernie (Eric is the black piggy in my picture and Ernie the blonde one). Earlier today Ernie jumped out of my hands and miraculously fell into a hanging basket so he didn’t fall on the ground! I think he’s okay, I’m keeping an eye on him but there doesn’t seem to be any injuries and his behaviour is normal - thank god!

I just wondered if anyone had any tips on handling nervous piggies? Eric is fine with being picked up and handled. But Ernie always panics when I pick him up and tries to jump out of my arms. It’s weird as well, because if I sit with him on my knee he loves it! But whenever I’m picking him up to put him in the outside run he panics... Has anyone got any advice? He seriously scared me earlier jumping out my arms so any advice would be really appreciated!
Hi and welcome

Please take the time to read these two guides here. They will show you how you can safely get around the problem of freak jumping and what is behind it:
How To Pick Up And Weigh Your Guinea Pig Safely
Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering And Cuddling Tips

These guides are part of our very useful new owners guide collection, which specifically addresses all the areas we get the most questions and worries from new owners about. We have combined them with information that will help you to undestand guinea pig behaviour and learn what is normal or safe and what not, as well as how to minimise preventable problems in the longer run, including how you can improve health and life span with a good diet.
Getting Started - New Owners' Most Helpful Guides

F3RN

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Thank you! I’ve had piggies before but never had any trouble with jumping.. thanks for the guides :)

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you! I’ve had piggies before but never had any trouble with jumping.. thanks for the guides :)
You may find the new owners guide collection still very interesting, as there is always something new to learn. We try our best to incorporate any new insights or development and to update the guides. ;)