• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Leah&Penelope

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hey Guys,
My guinea Leah who is about two months old has started to shed hair. She is a short haired, smooth coat Harlequin (i think!). Anyway, we live in Australia where it is just about to be summer and I am wondering if it is just that she is losing her winter coat (similar to how dogs do) but I'm not sure and I worry a lot because I don't want her to be in pain. She has a long haired sister Penelope and they're still interacting fine. She also hasn't lost her appetite and she's still drinking water. Her coat is still thick but I only just noticed the shedding from patting her.

The hair isn't falling out in chunks but it does come off easy from just holding her petting her so I'm not too sure.

I have attached pictures below, if someone could help me out please.

Thank you in advance! :)

22345220_10209746245643392_199460191_o.jpg 22375166_10209746245563390_971247835_o.jpg 22323818_10209746245523389_1172456737_o.jpg

Certainly looks like she's getting her summer coat. Since summer in Australia can be very warm, have you made sure her cage is the right temperature?

Hey Guys,
My guinea Leah who is about two months old has started to shed hair. She is a short haired, smooth coat Harlequin (i think!). Anyway, we live in Australia where it is just about to be summer and I am wondering if it is just that she is losing her winter coat (similar to how dogs do) but I'm not sure and I worry a lot because I don't want her to be in pain. She has a long haired sister Penelope and they're still interacting fine. She also hasn't lost her appetite and she's still drinking water. Her coat is still thick but I only just noticed the shedding from patting her.

The hair isn't falling out in chunks but it does come off easy from just holding her petting her so I'm not too sure.

I have attached pictures below, if someone could help me out please.

Thank you in advance! :)

View attachment 72600 View attachment 72601 View attachment 72602

Some guinea pigs shed hair seasonally much noticably than others, usually in when it gets hotter and then colder again. As long as the shedding is not leaving any new bald patches, there is nothing to worry about. Some piggies can shed A LOT.
Learning about naturally bald areas: Guinea pig body quirks

My pigs seem to shed like anything, that looks pretty normal to me!

The only thing I'd say is that it's important to keep them below 24 degrees celcius, I know you guys get much hotter summers than we do (I would probably die out there, melt like a wicked witch XD). Do you keep your bubbas inside? :)

My pigs are currently shedding a lot of hair , it's getting colder , so I imagine they're getting their winter clothes out ....

Back