• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Skin Condition? Help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

crnyng

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So I have had 2 year old female guinea pig for a few months and ever since I had her she has had dandruff. Exsessive amounts even. I have given her a bath for fungal, for lice, given her 3 doses on seperate occasions for mites of revolution and still time after time it comes back. The excessive amount it is confused and concerns me. She is sensitive to the touch also, mainly only back end however. I just am wondering if anyone knows what her issue may be or if they have a way of helping me out to help her? Just looking for insign and guidance! Thank you.
Will add photos shortly.

Personally it makes me think of mites but every time I get revolution for her it doesn't change anything. Nothing has. It's almost like she just has really bad dandruff but I'm not certain if that's just the case.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Which pig is this again? just trying to remember our conversations from before. Does she have it all the time? Hay mites are a possibility but skin debris from mange mites can look similar. A lot of pigs don't like their rear end being touched but that does make me think more mange mites. Your vet wouldn't agree to Ivermectin injections before would they?

Have you tried a round of parasite shampoos? am not sure on the brands in America. Did you order Lice n easy from the UK, or am I getting mixed up?

It's Sunflower, we at first thought it was perhaps stress shedding. She has been to two different vets and each said her skin looks/seems fine so that's why I let it go for a bit but something doesn't sit right with me. I don't think its mange, it's not that extreme and she hasn't lost patches of hair. It's just the constant dander and what seems like waxy chunks in her fur on her behind. But that's why I'm so confused about this I have done just about everything for the possible issues she could have. Revolution is our ivermectin here and yes I ordered the Lice N Easy from the UK.

The reason I mentioned the injections was because if it had been mange mites the injections are more effective than spot on. We did have some pigs used to stress shed at clinic. Is she living with your other girls?

No she isn't, I am waiting on my items to be shipped- I am making her, her own cage. Something just tells me she isn't going to grow into my other girls. Is it possible she could have a tumor? I mean she had that eye problem and the excessive shedding problem. Could it perhaps be she has a tumor that's affecting her skin, fur, and eyes?

Also I asked about the injections when Luna and Solis had ringworm. I mean it was for fungal but they said they don't do injections here. Well at least only do it for certain situations.

It's possible but the only way to diagnose would be by xray or Ultrasound. Ovarian cysts can also make the hair thinner (usually on the flanks but with my Fuzzy it was all over) but do not usually affect the eyes. A vitamin deficiency is also a possibility as is a fungal issue that is affecting her internally and her absorption of vitamins. Though there are conflicting views in the piggy world on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back