• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Smelly Cage!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chlawee

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I've been using fleece for my babies cage and I recently bought some new fleece. I recently got another piggy and my cage is starting to smell a little more? I'm not sure why. I was thinking of putting puppy pads underneath to soak up any pee?

Or does anyone have any better suggestions? Possibly a material I could see to the bottom of the fleece? I also heard somewhere you're supposed to wick fleece, I have no idea what this means!

Btw, I do tidy and clean cage regularily like sweep up any poop and mess to try and keep it tidy. I think it's most probably the pee that smells! And the cage is in my room so it isn't pleasant :)

Thanks for your heko

Wick fleece just means to wash and dry fleece a few times before you use. How often do you wash the fleece? Mine smells after about 3 days

Wick fleece just means to wash and dry fleece a few times before you use. How often do you wash the fleece? Mine smells after about 3 days
I usually properly clean and change everything in their cage after a week. But I do tidy ups and stuff every day, I most probably need to try and wick it then! I never knew that when I bought it :) x

Can you try and explain what you are using underneath the fleece?

You have fleece on top, but what do you have underneath your fleece as an absorbent layer?
Fleece just lets liquid (pee) soak through, and stays dry on top so is more pleasant for the guinea pigs.
The pee soaks through and has to go somewhere - this is where your absorbent layer comes in.
Some people use liners with an absorbent core sewn in (towels, zorb, etc) and some people put layers underneath the fleece to absorb the pee (towels, puppy pads, etc).

The other problem could be the fleece itself.
Fleece gets smelly after a while, but is simple to clean properly once you know how.

First step is to clean your washing machine - most of us use way too much powder, which builds up in the machine over time and is never fully rinsed out.
Clean the soap dispenser drawer, and put the machine on a hot cycle with nothing in it (no detergent, no clothes). When it is sloshing water around inside see if the water is foamy - if so this is all the excess detergent build up being washed out.
Once your machine is clean, then wash your fleece on a 60 degree cycle with a very small (really tiny) amount of powder and a small splash of white vinegar in the softener drawer only.
No softener, no '2 in 1' products, etc.
If possible air dry your fleeces.

This should help remove any stinky build up and get them smelling fresher.
Good luck!

Can you try and explain what you are using underneath the fleece?

You have fleece on top, but what do you have underneath your fleece as an absorbent layer?
Fleece just lets liquid (pee) soak through, and stays dry on top so is more pleasant for the guinea pigs.
The pee soaks through and has to go somewhere - this is where your absorbent layer comes in.
Some people use liners with an absorbent core sewn in (towels, zorb, etc) and some people put layers underneath the fleece to absorb the pee (towels, puppy pads, etc).

The other problem could be the fleece itself.
Fleece gets smelly after a while, but is simple to clean properly once you know how.

First step is to clean your washing machine - most of us use way too much powder, which builds up in the machine over time and is never fully rinsed out.
Clean the soap dispenser drawer, and put the machine on a hot cycle with nothing in it (no detergent, no clothes). When it is sloshing water around inside see if the water is foamy - if so this is all the excess detergent build up being washed out.
Once your machine is clean, then wash your fleece on a 60 degree cycle with a very small (really tiny) amount of powder and a small splash of white vinegar in the softener drawer only.
No softener, no '2 in 1' products, etc.
If possible air dry your fleeces.

This should help remove any stinky build up and get them smelling fresher.
Good luck!
I think the issue here is I literally didn't have an absorbent layer! I didn't realise till now that I needed to :) I can't seem to find where I can get zorb from? But I was going to put puppy pads underneath and wash my fleece several times to "wick" it.

Thanks for your help

I have started to you towels under the fleece which i have found better than puppy pads alone. I use paper then puppy pad then towel and fleece on top. I am finding that i dont need to change the puppy pads very often as they now dont get wet.

Washing your fleece will allow it to 'wick' away liquids.
Basically this means you strip off all of the fabric coatings that new fleece has that prevent liquid soaking through quickly.
To check if your fleece is wicking properly, lay it flat, and drop a small amount of water onto it.
Does the water form a little puddle and sit on top?
Or does it soak right through quite quickly?
If it soaks through then your fleece is wicking properly, and is ready to use.

You can buy zorb online from E-bay in the UK.

I think the issue here is I literally didn't have an absorbent layer! I didn't realise till now that I needed to :) I can't seem to find where I can get zorb from? But I was going to put puppy pads underneath and wash my fleece several times to "wick" it.

Thanks for your help

:D I have bought a LOT of Zorb in recent years. I usually get mine from Cuddleplushfabrics.co.uk. They usually have it in stock. £3.75 per fat quarter or £14.00 per metre. PlushAddict.co.uk also sell it too but rarely have it in stock. Very limited options from Ebay. Luna-dragonfly.co.uk also sell Zorb.

I line the bottom of my cage with towels, and then I place the fleece on top. I change these towels and fleece every Friday, and by then it's starting to smell a little. Additionally, I sweep up the poop once in the morning and once in the evening. Another thing I did to help with the smell was place a marinating tray (not for eating my piggies, I promise :P) from Walmart underneath the hay manger. I placed face cloths and fleece in that. The piggies now pee almost exclusively in there, so every night I change the fleece and face cloth from the tray.

Thank you everyone for your responses :D I have got puppy pads and am using Towels too!

I line the bottom of my cage with towels, and then I place the fleece on top. I change these towels and fleece every Friday, and by then it's starting to smell a little. Additionally, I sweep up the poop once in the morning and once in the evening. Another thing I did to help with the smell was place a marinating tray (not for eating my piggies, I promise :P) from Walmart underneath the hay manger. I placed face cloths and fleece in that. The piggies now pee almost exclusively in there, so every night I change the fleece and face cloth from the tray.
Haha! That made me laugh :) I like that idea though, I may get myself a marinating dish myself it would be quite useful for what you said ^^ xx

Another thing to consider is that you have two boys! My cage never smelt until I brought in my second boy which prompted a whole lot of scent marking and peeing everywhere almost like a dog! This has calmed down as they have established their hierarchy but I did notice the testosterone stench from my older piggy!

Another thing to consider is that you have two boys! My cage never smelt until I brought in my second boy which prompted a whole lot of scent marking and peeing everywhere almost like a dog! This has calmed down as they have established their hierarchy but I did notice the testosterone stench from my older piggy!
Ooh that probably is a factor! Because the pee if I'm honest doesn't smell like it usually does, but I assumed it may be because it wasn't soaking so it just smelt worse! Xx

Haha! That made me laugh :) I like that idea though, I may get myself a marinating dish myself it would be quite useful for what you said ^^ xx

It would work so much better if somepiggy (Bliss :P) didn't enjoy hanging her butt off the edge and pooping. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back