• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Snowflake Wood Shavings

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2022/23
Reaction score
So, in preparation for getting me (us) some pigs, I bought snowflake wood shavings. But then I came across some threads saying wood shavings aren't a good idea and others saying they're fine. I'm left in a quandary now as to which is true....
This is the type I bought. Someone help me please!

I'm considering aubiose with hay on top. Or should I put the hay in hay racks? Seems the aubiose stays dry on top if there's a thick enough layer of it. Do you put anything underneath?
The guinea pigs from school had megazorb and I liked it, but I think it was the cause of my itchy nose. I'll go browse and see peoples' setup.

TIA.

I have a small layer of woodshavings in my kitchen areas, between the puppy pads and the hay.

I find that the cage doesn't get as stinky as quick with woodshavings.

I always make sure they're well covered though.

@Jaycey are the puppy pads because the wee just soaks through? And how often do you change them? Well covered because it's not soft? I think I'll use that for now then maybe try aubiose when I've run out.

@Siikibam Yeah. I put puppy pads on the bottom as they soak up pee the best, and it makes it easier to clean them out as you can just roll them up rather than sweeping up all of the shavings.

They get a full clean once a week but I check to see if any area is soiled every day and swap if necessary. So i tend to do a part clean and then the full clean every week.

I have a pig who likes to try to eat the shavings and I like to cover them up just in case there's any dust lurking in them. They tend to be very good though. Covering it with hay gives the pigs something to do, they love snuffling around in it and grazing on the hay.

@Siikibam Yeah. I put puppy pads on the bottom as they soak up pee the best, and it makes it easier to clean them out as you can just roll them up rather than sweeping up all of the shavings.

They get a full clean once a week but I check to see if any area is soiled every day and swap if necessary. So i tend to do a part clean and then the full clean every week.

I have a pig who likes to try to eat the shavings and I like to cover them up just in case there's any dust lurking in them. They tend to be very good though. Covering it with hay gives the pigs something to do, they love snuffling around in it and grazing on the hay.
Do you remove the wet shavings and puppy pads or just the latter?

@BossHogg Uses snowflake shavings :)
Yay! :tu: Glad to know I didn't buy incorrectly then!

@Siikibam Once a week the whole lot goes in the bin. During the week I make a judgement call each time I sweep the cage. Sometimes I don't need to do anything, sometimes it's just the hay and shavings that need swapping and on occasion they seemed to have peed for England and a puppy pad needs changing too.

It would be too fiddly trying to just swap a puppy pad because of the layers. The pad goes on the bottom,then the shavings then hay on top.

I recommend using cat litter. We were advised to do so at every pet store we visited to get more information on the guineas before we got them. We are using it at the moment and it leaves no odur xx

You've got it now, use it, it won't harm them, I used to use shavings before swapping to soft chip. The chippings are much better than the shavings and don't make as much mess. ;)

I use towels and snowflake wood shavings and mine seem to be fine

I recommend using cat litter. We were advised to do so at every pet store we visited to get more information on the guineas before we got them. We are using it at the moment and it leaves no odur xx

I don't have a cat and so I could be wrong but isn't cat little like little stones? Surely it would hurt pigs feet? What about if theu tried to eat it?

Back