• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Something large stuck in his bum

GeorgiaHarris

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I noticed that there was a pink patch on my piggies fleece and assumed it was my 4/5 year old boar as it was in his spot where he sleeps all the time. I googled and found that it could be blood in his urine or that his urine had just oxidated, I saw post saying I should put him on a white towel and see if the urine is pink when it comes out which means it is blood or if it turns pink after a short while then it is just oxidated. I followed this but after about an hour my boar had only pooped once and hadn’t peed at all which is very unlike him as he is a big pooper and always pees on me within 20 minutes of him being out of his cage. I’ve also noticed that his bum/testicles seem a lot larger than usual, so when I had a look at his bum I found this large brown clump thing stuck in there. I’m not sure if it’s a stuck poop but it is a lot larger than his regular poops. He seemed very uncomfortable when I tried to look at or if I touched so I’m pretty sure it’s painful for him. Has anyone seen this before or knows what it is and how I can help him.F4296B5B-979E-4B4E-91B5-EAA850D07A23.jpeg62AA3438-84E6-4A95-966C-C6002ACCB7D1.jpegF3B8E559-FF7E-440D-BFB5-50B71034879F.jpeg2F0EA35F-539B-41A7-93DA-6699A23DC9A3.jpeg

I think it's a poop. Squeeze very gently around the bum and see if you can make it come out. Very gently of course.

I noticed that there was a pink patch on my piggies fleece and assumed it was my 4/5 year old boar as it was in his spot where he sleeps all the time. I googled and found that it could be blood in his urine or that his urine had just oxidated, I saw post saying I should put him on a white towel and see if the urine is pink when it comes out which means it is blood or if it turns pink after a short while then it is just oxidated. I followed this but after about an hour my boar had only pooped once and hadn’t peed at all which is very unlike him as he is a big pooper and always pees on me within 20 minutes of him being out of his cage. I’ve also noticed that his bum/testicles seem a lot larger than usual, so when I had a look at his bum I found this large brown clump thing stuck in there. I’m not sure if it’s a stuck poop but it is a lot larger than his regular poops. He seemed very uncomfortable when I tried to look at or if I touched so I’m pretty sure it’s painful for him. Has anyone seen this before or knows what it is and how I can help him.View attachment 89885View attachment 89886View attachment 89887View attachment 89888

Hi! Your boy is suffering from impaction. This is a progressive illness that affects around 10% of ageing/older boars cause by weakening muscles at the back end. It is not curable but requires daily attention. Unfortunately clearing it out is a very smelly procedure.
If there is other gunk coming out than just poo or if the build-up has been there for a longer time, please see a vet for signs of an infection which may require an antibiotic. If you are worried, have him vet checked anyway.
Information with several good standard and correct care videos as well as diet advice via this link here: Complete Syringe Feeding Guide

Please also check the penis shaft regularly as the pressure impaction can promote the quick build-up and hardening of smegma there. Boar Care: Bits, Bums & Baths

Hi! Your boys is suffering from impaction. This is a progressive illness that affects around 10% of ageing/older boars. it is not curable but requires daily attention. Unfortunately clearing it out is a very smelly procedure. If there is other gunk than just poo, please see a vet for signs of an infection which may require an antibiotic or have him vet checked straight away.
Information with several good standard and correct care videos as well as diet advice via this link here: Complete Syringe Feeding Guide

Please also check the penis shaft regularly as the pressure impaction can promote the quick build-up and hardening of smegma there. Boar Care: Bits, Bums & Baths
Thankyou, I will call my vet in the morning

Thankyou, I will call my vet in the morning

Please take the time to click on the link and read our excellent first-hand practical impaction care and diet advice!
You will find it very helpful as you will be doing it on a daily or near daily or even more than once daily basis depending on the severity. ;)

Please take the time to click on the link and read our excellent first-hand practical impaction care and diet advice!
You will find it very helpful as you will be doing it on a daily or near daily or even more than once daily basis depending on the severity. ;)
Thanks, I’ve gone through the care advice and watched some videos and I’ve managed to remove it😁

Well done! I had a boy who was sometimes impacted and it's not a pleasant job :yikes: Best done outside in this nice weather. Hope he's feeling much more comfortable now.

Well done! I had a boy who was sometimes impacted and it's not a pleasant job :yikes: Best done outside in this nice weather. Hope he's feeling much more comfortable now.
Yes it definitely not pleasant, he does seem much more comfortable and I’ve noticed him pooing more now aswell😊

Streaky gets impacted it can be a smelly job but you do get used to it! When I first saw Streakys I checked on this forum and also booked him into the vets just to make sure everything was okay. :nod:

Back