• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Hannahb2804

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Had two sows for roughly three weeks now and when they arrived Dougal was rumble strutting constantly and Luna was squeaking, then it stopped after a while and Luna was on heat so she began doing the same and trying to mount Dougal and then this stopped. All has been fine for a week or more but today I’ve noticed Dougal constantly rumble strutting around Luna and always wanting to steal her bed and kick her out (even though they both have the same beds) and I’ve noticed a few ‘nose offs’ where they seem to rise their head up at eachother but Luna always squeals like when Dougal begins to purr at her Luna won’t stop squealing until Dougal turns away, I noticed not long ago it looked like Dougal may have gone for Luna but I’m not sure if it was just nipping, after this happens they lie down about a piggie body width away from eachother so I don’t know if they’re upset with eachother or just stroppy😂

It sounds a little like normal dominance behaviour. Nipping (without breaking skin) is also a way for them to put the underpig in their place. Do have a read through the links below and see. How old are they again?
Sows: Behaviour and female health problems (including ovarian cysts)
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs
They’re sat like this now and this happens after every tiff, it seems only like it’s happened today, they’re both roughly one I got them from a rescue so I can’t be certain, how will I know if she is biting properly and not just a nip, I can’t tell if it’s a nip or what as it’s so quick and Luna runs away so I can never tell

Attachments

• 4F33A004-7BB8-4F5B-86E5-C3DA48D6B0FF.jpeg
    4F33A004-7BB8-4F5B-86E5-C3DA48D6B0FF.jpeg
    95.7 KB · Views: 6
If it’s a proper bite there would be a small wound. The squealing in submission is good as someone has to do it.

If it’s a proper bite there would be a small wound. The squealing in submission is good as someone has to do it.
I’ve read those guides and they’ve been really helpful, but what would you recommend I should look out for to be worried, would you say they seem fine and it’s just normal? Why would they be re asserting dominance 3 weeks in, like I say Luna has already been n heat since I had her but Dougal hasn’t so maybe that’s it...

The top pig will want to get the top spots for sleeping etc, so chasing underpig out of the hide is normal. Yes, even if it’s the same 🤷🏾‍♀️ If the rumbling from Dougal isn’t constant day in day out for weeks, then I wouldn’t worry. Also remember that dominance etc can carry on for a few weeks after they’ve moved into their new home.

The top pig will want to get the top spots for sleeping etc, so chasing underpig out of the hide is normal. Yes, even if it’s the same 🤷🏾‍♀️ If the rumbling from Dougal isn’t constant day in day out for weeks, then I wouldn’t worry. Also remember that dominance etc can carry on for a few weeks after they’ve moved into their new home.
Okay thank you so much!

Sows establishing dominance can be rough on us.
The bonding guides and forum advice really helped me when I was panicking.
We did have some nips and fur pulling and noise before the 2 culprits decided they were best friends.
Your girls are beautiful

Sows establishing dominance can be rough on us.
The bonding guides and forum advice really helped me when I was panicking.
We did have some nips and fur pulling and noise before the 2 culprits decided they were best friends.
Your girls are beautiful
Thankyou! It’s so hard hearing them I keep thinking they’re in pain

When a piggy repeatedly reminds the other that they are in charge it is usually because they are not fully comfortable in the role. This is often a result of the two pigs being very closely matched in terms of dominance/submissiveness, so the top pig feels she could lose her position at any time and sometimes does and the roles are reversed. Given time they should sort themselves out.

Back