• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Leiaaucock

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My guinea pig when put with his other Male friend purrs a lot and lifts his butt to show what looks like a prolapse or possibly a clogged grease gland whereas when he is sat normally and calm it’s not visible ? I will attach pictures.

Attachments

• 4EB6BA61-1CC4-43B0-92B1-604B694B887F.png
    4EB6BA61-1CC4-43B0-92B1-604B694B887F.png
    628 KB · Views: 18
  • 25F5190C-6329-41A4-98CE-E47B0439207F.png
    25F5190C-6329-41A4-98CE-E47B0439207F.png
    627.6 KB · Views: 20
  • BBCBE660-2340-4F9B-85FA-0F227A0F1B02.png
    BBCBE660-2340-4F9B-85FA-0F227A0F1B02.png
    610.9 KB · Views: 19
I'm not sure on this. But have you thought about keeping your two boars together all the time, because everytine you take one away and then put back together, your boars are having to re establish dominance. Its not healthy for them

Not sure about the prolapse question but @SkyPipDotBernie is right in saying that you can’t keep putting boars together and then separating them.
I may have misunderstood but that is what it sounds like.
Guinea pigs are herd animals who need to live with others and they don’t do friendship visits as humans do.
Your piggy is probably showing dominance behaviour.
Try having a read through the bonding guides on the forum- you may find an answer to your question there.

Welcome to the forum and look forward to getting to know you and your piggies

He looks a bit swollen down below from the photo though obviously it's not the best image to see. Have you handled him and checked him over for any issues around his man parts?

I agree with what has been said above

That doesn’t look great, normally with any health concern I would suggest to see a vet... Depends on what everybody else thinks, I’m not an expert!

Hi!

Please check his bits carefully and if necessary see a vet; a sperm rod can be very tricky to remove and cause a nasty infection!
We strongly recommend to check boar bits once weekly as part of the weekly weigh-in and onceover health check.
Here is our guide to boar issues: Boar Care: Bits, Bums & Baths

Please be aware that guinea pigs don't do play time. Every meeting is a full-on bonding session for them, and every separation before they have had time to work through it is extremely frustrating for them. They have to start right back in square one each time.
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

I agree with all the comments above about playtime etc.
When one of our Skinnypigs is having his floor time, he vits the other C&C pens and he will occasionally stop at in front of one and flare his anal area and waggle his bum. It's quite gross to see him opening up like a flower. I've never found a proper explanation for this. Also, our Abyssinian, Billybob, used to do it when he was younger.

Back