• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

MarioPig

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi guys!

I am new to forums so I will apologise now

My little piggy Archie (2 and a half) has recently had his dental operation using G.A. (this was before I knew about the Cambridgeshire cavy trust). Since the op rehabilitating him has been extremely stressful as force feeding him has been quite difficult.

Yesterday Archie stopped pooing completely. I knew straight away this was due to the lack of water he has been drinking, I tried so hard but no matter what I tried it did not work. Water from a syringe would just dribble back out and the bowl and bottle have not been touched. I took him to the vet this morning and they gave him fluid treatment.

He is now back home for the night and ate some parsley and Science recovery but I am now scared because once again I am unable to get him to drink any water and he has not done a poop or wee since he got home. I am terrified and I don’t know what to do anymore, it’s breaking my heart. I feel like a terrible mother and I’m failing my pig :(

HELP!

Say hello to Archie! His eyes are abit funny as they had ulcers around them which were also removed on saturday

Sorry but I hope someone more experienced will come and help you out , as I dont really have any advice. By the way my baby Abysinian male I got yesterday as a companion for my Alfie I actually named Archie! The first pic is Alfie and the second is Archie.
Hi guys!

I am new to forums so I will apologise now

My little piggy Archie (2 and a half) has recently had his dental operation using G.A. (this was before I knew about the Cambridgeshire cavy trust). Since the op rehabilitating him has been extremely stressful as force feeding him has been quite difficult.

Yesterday Archie stopped pooing completely. I knew straight away this was due to the lack of water he has been drinking, I tried so hard but no matter what I tried it did not work. Water from a syringe would just dribble back out and the bowl and bottle have not been touched. I took him to the vet this morning and they gave him fluid treatment.

He is now back home for the night and ate some parsley and Science recovery but I am now scared because once again I am unable to get him to drink any water and he has not done a poop or wee since he got home. I am terrified and I don’t know what to do anymore, it’s breaking my heart. I feel like a terrible mother and I’m failing my pig :(

HELP!

Attachments

• 391B150D-40A3-4A66-9F34-ADF978ABDD7E.jpeg
    391B150D-40A3-4A66-9F34-ADF978ABDD7E.jpeg
    76.8 KB · Views: 1
  • D27DB8BC-57D7-4E71-9D50-6FEBCD64BEB4.jpeg
    D27DB8BC-57D7-4E71-9D50-6FEBCD64BEB4.jpeg
    48.5 KB · Views: 1
Ok so regular feeding through the night and still no poops or wee! I have a vet appointment for 9:30 but I am scared to go, I have now spent several hundred £ in the last few days and have seen no positive outcome.

Can someone please reply because I don’t know what I’m doing anymore and the idea of putting him down for his own sake is now the only option I can see anymore

I see you are in Bedfordshire. The best vet for anything dental is Simon Maddock at the Cat and Rabbit Care Clinic in Northampton. Simon carries out dental work, without using GA and the results he gets are amazing. People travel from all over the UK to see him with guinea pigs with dental issues.

Unfortunately my car is at the garage right now! I have been using taxis and walking to get to my local vet, I am hoping to get the car back today! If so I will give them a call as soon as it arrives

Hello sorry to hear this and sending lots of love to your piggy I completely agree with Debbie above in the recommendation of the cat and rabbit clinic in Northampton, Simon and Kim are extremely skilled when it comes to dental work and to the best guinea pig that’s in the country

You're doing great with the syringe feeding, keep it up until you can get him to Simon. I went through exactly the same thing with my piggy Harry. Spent over £400 in a week at a chain vet due to 'complications' with his dental, nearly had him put to sleep. Then I took him to a brilliant cavy vet and lo and behold he was eating within hours. He's back to his big piggy self now. It's emotionally and physically draining but you can do it! x

Just an update!

I dropped him at the vets at 9:30 this morning and will be picking him up later, they’re going to attempt to get his gut moving again as it has stopped.. again. This is all so stressful

Exam week out of all weeks too

You're doing great with the syringe feeding, keep it up until you can get him to Simon. I went through exactly the same thing with my piggy Harry. Spent over £400 in a week at a chain vet due to 'complications' with his dental, nearly had him put to sleep. Then I took him to a brilliant cavy vet and lo and behold he was eating within hours. He's back to his big piggy self now. It's emotionally and physically draining but you can do it! x
Hiii

I was just wondering did they ever find the reason as to what was causing these issues

The first vet had missed some spurs on Harry's teeth and so it still hurt him to eat. Even though they kept checking in his mouth saying it was fine! That's why its so important to see a vet who really knows Guinea pigs, I shudder to think how close I came to having him put to sleep 😔

Another update, unfortunately he ha passed any droppings for over 24 hours and just seems to be getting weaker and weaker, I’ve made the decision to put him to sleep and will going to say bye to him shortly as there is little left that anyone can do,

Thank you for your replies guys!
I’m just not lucky with guinea pigs

Back