• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Ted Had Bladder Surgery On Friday - Still Not Eating Or Moving Much

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoannaMarie

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I really hope you can advise me. My baby boy Ted had a bladder operation on Friday - they thought it was bladder stones but it was actually a blood clot. He ate a little of his straw yesterday but I was syringe feeding him all day. Today there is no improvement. He didn't move all night. There were plenty of poos this morning although they were smaller than normal, which I presume is a good sign. I have been hand feeding him today though and no poos have come out yet. He is just sleeping, not moving at all, no interest in food, and it is a struggle to get food down him. He is taking it with resistance and I must have given him about 15-20 mls of mushed pellets so far today as well as making him up a drink of mashed tomatoes (his favourite) mixed with a little water, which he has had about 6 mls of today. I also have been putting pro biotics in his food.

Please can you tell me how long will it take for him to start improving? I am so worried he is not going to make it. He just wants to sleep the whole time and shows no interest in anything.

Help! I love him and can't bear to see him so poorly. Is there anything else I could do for him?

I have also been giving him 7mls of metocam per day. I think he is in a lot of pain.

I really hope you can advise me. My baby boy Ted had a bladder operation on Friday - they thought it was bladder stones but it was actually a blood clot. He ate a little of his straw yesterday but I was syringe feeding him all day. Today there is no improvement. He didn't move all night. There were plenty of poos this morning although they were smaller than normal, which I presume is a good sign. I have been hand feeding him today though and no poos have come out yet. He is just sleeping, not moving at all, no interest in food, and it is a struggle to get food down him. He is taking it with resistance and I must have given him about 15-20 mls of mushed pellets so far today as well as making him up a drink of mashed tomatoes (his favourite) mixed with a little water, which he has had about 6 mls of today. I also have been putting pro biotics in his food.

Please can you tell me how long will it take for him to start improving? I am so worried he is not going to make it. He just wants to sleep the whole time and shows no interest in anything.

Help! I love him and can't bear to see him so poorly. Is there anything else I could do for him?

You are doing all you can. Please make sure that he is seen by a vet latest by tomorrow! He should be picking up by now; if he is becoming more apatheitc instead of picking up, then you need to have him seen as an emergency.

The poos are usually reflecting what has gone in a day or two before, depending on how sluggish they are. That can mean that there no poos for a goodly while.

Please continue to syringe feed him little, but often.The less in one go, the more often round the clock.

Fingers firmly crossed!

You may find these two guides here helpful:
Tips For Post-operative Care
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide

Ok thanks for your advice. My main problem is that I start a new job tomorrow.... So can not possibly stay at home to look after him. I have an appointment at the vets tomorrow after work, and plan to come home in my lunch break to feed and water him and check up on him. I am giving him a 1ml syringe of food approximately every 15 to 30 minutes as well as the odd syringe of the squashed tomato juice. Ted is a very sensitive pig anyway, and I think the cause of his apathy is that he's suffering with pain. There is a little blood in his urine but nothing too much, and his wound looks clear. I can't afford to take him to the emergency vets today - I could barely afford the operation :-(

Ok thanks for your advice. My main problem is that I start a new job tomorrow.... So can not possibly stay at home to look after him. I have an appointment at the vets tomorrow after work, and plan to come home in my lunch break to feed and water him and check up on him. I am giving him a 1ml syringe of food approximately every 15 to 30 minutes as well as the odd syringe of the squashed tomato juice. Ted is a very sensitive pig anyway, and I think the cause of his apathy is that he's suffering with pain. There is a little blood in his urine but nothing too much, and his wound looks clear. I can't afford to take him to the emergency vets today - I could barely afford the operation :-(

Please cut down on the tomato juice; that is not good for him. Just stick to the syringe feed or mushed up pellets.

I am very sorry for you awkward situation, but if he is that apathetic, he needs help as soon as you can get it.

OK I won't give him the tomato juice anymore, I just wanted to give him something he likes and thought he might need the vitamin C, thank you for the advice. I might see if I can get him to the vets first thing tomorrow. They may be able to look after him for me for the day? This is a really horrible situation.

I think that's a good plan. If an animal is in pain or suffering the vets have a duty to see them, so I have no doubt that your vets will see him in the morning. many vets will take a piggy in and look after him for the day for you to get him more comfortable and feeding again.

I took him to my vets and they looked after him today. I am going to the vets now to see what they say. I am so frightened there is something seriously wrong. I have been on the verge of tears all day.

Try not to panic. It's horrid, I know. I had 3-4 days of horrendous time looking after my Struan post surgery but if the vets have been looking after him today, he's in the best place.

Think of it like he was a person, you'd not be expecting to be up and about, eating 3 course meals, the day after a hysterectomy or bowel surgery so he won't be either. Surgery can be pretty hard on them and it takes them time ot pick up.

As long as he's getting enough food, fluid and pain relief then he just needs time to let his body heal.

The vet said he didn't think he's in pain, and his scar is healing well so he was stumped as to why he's so I'll. I've bought him home and *fingers crossed* after looking at deaths door for the last three days I offered him morsels of cucumber and carrot tonight and he is eating them. This is the first thing he's eaten on his own (I.e. not force fed) . I hope he's turning a corner. I can not say enough about my vets in Nottingham. They didn't even charge for looking after him all day xx

Amazing news, perhaps he's feeling a bit better. I know my P went downhill before he went up hill. How is the little man today?

After eating last night he went downhill worse than ever. I didn't expect to see him today. He is pretty bad today however he is at least trying to eat hay, which is more than he has done so far. He just looks exhausted, like just breathing is tiring. So sad to see him this way. I am taking him to the vets again on the way to work and they are going to hand feed him again.

So sorry to hear this, I hope the little man recovers.

He will be in good hands at the vets.

Thank you. He's had quite a day. He's improved a lot compared to this morning and has even nibbled at some cucumber, pear and apple. Yes got quite bad diarrhoea now though but vet says she thinks it's a good sign that his guts have started moving after four days of no poo. I am giving him recovery with probiotics and also hand watering him. Is there anything else I could do to help Ted?

Thank you. He's had quite a day. He's improved a lot compared to this morning and has even nibbled at some cucumber, pear and apple. Yes got quite bad diarrhoea now though but vet says she thinks it's a good sign that his guts have started moving after four days of no poo. I am giving him recovery with probiotics and also hand watering him. Is there anything else I could do to help Ted?
Heat pad (or a hot water bottle wrapped in a towel) x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back