Tunnels vs Runaround Space

Lizzieejoyce

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello you wonderful bunch!

Is it better to put multiple tunnels in their hutch or fewer so they have room to run around?

My 2 are in their pen with lots of tunnels/huts during the day. At night they are put into their hutch which has a ramp in the middle going up to the upstairs ‘bedroom’. The floor space is big enough, it’s just a little awkward - if I add more than 1 tunnel they don’t have much room to move about.

I cable tied another tunnel to their mesh door, thought that worked but saw they were shoving it with her head quite aggressively and chewed it a lot so assume they rather it wasn’t there.

Thoughts/recommendations welcome 😊

Fantasimo

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I think it depends on the pigs, but when my boys were little and loved to run, I used to set their tunnels up like a race track around the cage perimeter so they could run through them as they did laps around their cage. They even seemed to prefer to run when they had a designated ‘route’.

These days they mostly just popcorn when they’re excited, but I do still get laps occasionally 🙂

Lizzieejoyce

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I think it depends on the pigs, but when my boys were little and loved to run, I used to set their tunnels up like a race track around the cage perimeter so they could run through them as they did laps around their cage. They even seemed to prefer to run when they had a designated ‘route’.

These day’s they mostly just popcorn when they’re excited, but I do still get laps occasionally 🙂
That’s the sweetest thing! I might give that a go in their pen tomorrow and see how my girls react 😍

Fantasimo

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hope they like it!

Mine love the sound of rustling bags, so I used to stand and rustle a bag to get them extra excited and then watch them shoot around 😂 the things we do for our pigs!

Lizzieejoyce

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hope they like it!

Mine love the sound of rustling bags, so I used to stand and rustle a bag to get them extra excited and then watch them shoot around 😂 the things we do for our pigs!
I do the same thing, I’ve never understood why they get so happy with the noises haha!