• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Two Boars Fighting

Vi_x29

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I have had two make guinea pigs (Bear and Conker) for over 2 years and they have never had any major issues. They have nipped at each others ears before but never drawn blood.

Earlier today they got into a bit of a scramble over a raspberry as they both wanted it, neither of them got hurt though. Afterwards, they seemed fine with each other and I put them back together and they even cuddled up next to each other for a second, but they were still a bit grump.

I left the room and about 30 mins later I checked the camera I have set up to watch them (I have had this camera for months). I noticed a patch of something on the blankets so I went to check on them and it was blood. They were on seperate ends of the cage and Conker had a cut on his lips and Bear had a cut on his foot in between his claws.
I have separated their cage(C and C cage) but they only have 2x2 space left each (they can’t acces the loft due to the partition and I had to remove the ramp.
I will rebuild their cage tomorrow so they have a 2x3 space each but I’m not sure how to proceed with re-bonding them, any suggestions?

A fight that draws blood is the equivalent of a punch up. I’m not sure I would try rebonding them after that scrap because it seems they don’t like each other.

Is there any way you could extend it to 2x4 each? I’m sorry they’ve fallen out. I’ll tag @Piggies&buns so she can also give you her thoughts.

Unfortunately they are unlikely to get on again.

Unusual for a fall out at that age to occur, it’s usually the younger boars who then settle with age and can sometimes be re-bonded once the hormones settle. Your boys really must not like each other for some reason now (it does happen).

If it was me, I would still do a trial separation for a day or two and then see if they re-bond on neutral territory. If not, they can live happily as neighbours with plenty of interaction through the bars. I have several boar pairs and a single boar 😊

A fight that draws blood is the equivalent of a punch up. I’m not sure I would try rebonding them after that scrap because it seems they don’t like each other.

Is there any way you could extend it to 2x4 each? I’m sorry they’ve fallen out. I’ll tag @Piggies&buns so she can also give you her thoughts.

Unfortunately I don’t have space for that, they are in my bedroom. They have peered at each other through the partition and haven’t gotten violet, I will try putting them in a neutral territory in a few days to see if they can be re-bonded. It seems crazy to me that they have fallen out as they have been close since birth and often cuddle up and sleep next to each other.

Please be ready with oven gloves in case things go wrong. Another thing is that boars need more space. Unfortunately a 2x4 isn’t enough space. I know they seem to have been fine in that space in the past which is good. It’s just better they have more room. I hope it works out for you, but there’s no harm being prepared with a plan b.

It is unusual for an issue to occur later down the line in well bonded piggies but it can happen if two piggies have always had an underlying problem in their relationship. Something can just happen which causes it to come to a head and cause a fight.

I would have them separate for a couple of days and then try a neutral territory reintroduction for a few hours and let them make the decision of if they still want to be together. A blood drawing, injury causing fight is often the end of a bond so be ready to step in and separate if things don’t work out. If they cannot live together anymore, then a 2x3 covers 9sq ft so is just a little above the minimum welfare cage size requirements, however, a 2x4 cage each (side by side) would be better

That’s such a shame. I hope they can be rebonded soon.

Back