• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Very Nippy Young Pig

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erica94

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My pig is not quite a year old, and has recently (the past few months) developed a nipping habit when she is picked up and held for lap time. Otherwise she's very social and sweet, and loves being petted frequently in her cage. In your lap she seems relaxed and happy with her feet kicked out behind her, stretched out with butt flat... But then she will almost immediately get up begin to chew and pull on the skin of anyone holding her. Not hard enough to break skin, but hard enough to hurt. When given food as an alternative she will take it, but as soon as the food is gone she will go right back to biting. She will walk and go after your hand or arm if it's out of her reach. Is there a reason that she could be doing this, or is this typical behavior for young pigs? Thank you!

Hmm that is a bit odd. Usually pigs will test their limits with nipping when they are younger, and then once you teach them that biting your skin is wrong, i can't see why it would start up again incessantly. Have you checked out her teeth? Perhaps they are getting a bit long and she is simply trying to wear them down whenever possible. My eldest boar is only 3 months old and he nips a lot too as he is testing his limits with me, but a firm no and pulling my hand/arm away seems to make him stop, or if i place a chew toy in front of him instead he'll take to that. Maybe by giving her food you are unintentionally teaching her that the biting/pulling is okay, since food to all pigs is a reward and a happy time. Next time she does this reprimand her, and maybe move her onto the bed/couch/floor beside you, so she learns that she can't be on your lap if she bites.

Hi and welcome!

Is your guinea pig single? Your piggy is at an age when they are trying to push the envelope as teenagers.

You may find the information and tips in these guides here helpful. Assert your dominance in piggy terms so she knows that your rules go, but then also tell her that you love her and that you want her to be a member of your group.
Biting
How To Understand Guinea Pig Instincts And Speak Piggy Body Language

Hmm that is a bit odd. Usually pigs will test their limits with nipping when they are younger, and then once you teach them that biting your skin is wrong, i can't see why it would start up again incessantly. Have you checked out her teeth? Perhaps they are getting a bit long and she is simply trying to wear them down whenever possible. My eldest boar is only 3 months old and he nips a lot too as he is testing his limits with me, but a firm no and pulling my hand/arm away seems to make him stop, or if i place a chew toy in front of him instead he'll take to that. Maybe by giving her food you are unintentionally teaching her that the biting/pulling is okay, since food to all pigs is a reward and a happy time. Next time she does this reprimand her, and maybe move her onto the bed/couch/floor beside you, so she learns that she can't be on your lap if she bites.
Your advice seems to have helped a bit; thank you! Her teeth are good. I cut food out of lap time and said "no" when she nips and pulled my hand away, and she eventually quit trying and just started licking my hand instead. She was popcorning in her cuddle sack, so she must not be upset about anything! Maybe she was just consistently mistaking me for a yummy treat :)

Hi and welcome!

Is your guinea pig single? Your piggy is at an age when they are trying to push the envelope as teenagers.

You may find the information and tips in these guides here helpful. Assert your dominance in piggy terms so she knows that your rules go, but then also tell her that you love her and that you want her to be a member of your group.
Biting
How To Understand Guinea Pig Instincts And Speak Piggy Body Language
Thanks for the reply! Yes, my piggy is single. I plan on getting a friend for her within the next year; I'll likely be moving, and I would rather introduce a pig after a move than before.
Thanks for the link, as well. I read it over and I also tried the tilting head thing to establish dominance. I was happy to learn how to give her "piggy kisses" too!

If the is popcorning, then she is happy and it means that your communication channels are working now.

Please consider that the longer you leave a young guinea pig single, the greater the risk that she may lose her abiility to perceive herslef as a guinea pig.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back