• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

GeorgiaHarris

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I want to bulk order some hay from Hay and Straw but I'm not sure which hay to get. They have 3 different types: Ings hay, Timothy and Rye hay and Meadow hay. Does anyone order from here and have any reviews/preferences?

I want to bulk order some hay from Hay and Straw but I'm not sure which hay to get. They have 3 different types: Ings hay, Timothy and Rye hay and Meadow hay. Does anyone order from here and have any reviews/preferences?
I’ve had Timothy hay and rye hay from there last year and both were yellow but I know other members have ordered and the quality has been great.I prefer the Timothy hay from timothyhay.co.uk it’s always been lovely and green.

The Ings hay from there this year has been poor but last week I ordered the meadow hay and it's lovely so I ordered another 2 bags of it and they are lovely too.

So funny, I was just about to post a question about hay! We got pets at home timothy hay initially, and it was fine, but the second bag we got seemed lower quality and it wasnt being eaten so much so Piggle ordered some "supreme science selective tempting timothy hay" from amazon (Piggle loves online shopping and she needed an add-on item to get her new play tube and more importantly the giant cardboard box it was delivered in to make a play house). This new hay is really green and smells great and it was such a hit that they ignored their breakfast food bowl just to eat the new hay!
But its a bit coarse textured for bedding, so I might get pets at home hay to sit on and pee on and this new stuff for feeding.
What does everyone else use? How can timothy hay vary so much?

So funny, I was just about to post a question about hay! We got pets at home timothy hay initially, and it was fine, but the second bag we got seemed lower quality and it wasnt being eaten so much so Piggle ordered some "supreme science selective tempting timothy hay" from amazon (Piggle loves online shopping and she needed an add-on item to get her new play tube and more importantly the giant cardboard box it was delivered in to make a play house). This new hay is really green and smells great and it was such a hit that they ignored their breakfast food bowl just to eat the new hay!
But its a bit coarse textured for bedding, so I might get pets at home hay to sit on and pee on and this new stuff for feeding.

Different cuts from different times of year, how good the harvest was, how good the crop grows. I used to buy the timothy rich hay from Nature's Own and whilst most of the time it was great, sometimes it was more yellow, less soft etc.

As @Lorcan said, so much depends on the quality of hay available, the weather, the crop, the cut etc.

Mine get a variety of different hay - meadow and mountain.
I haven't found a variety of hay they don't like.

I get hay straight from the farm. It's lovely and green and fresh and my piggies love it. Do you know anyone who has a horse? If so ask where they get their hay from - you can't get a better recommendation than that.

I now order hay from natures own, I like that it comes compressed so I can store it easily.
I use that hay for bedding and bottom of hay trays as it’s soft. So far this year it’s all been sweet smelling.
Then I add other types of hay in boxes such as Timothy and oat for eating.

I have recently stopped buying pets at home's own-brand timothy hay after getting such a poor quality batch that I posted a thread about it.

I either get meadow hay from the garden centre or if I'm going to P@H I'll get Burgess Excel hay.

Back