What To Chew On?

ashleemelda

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
About 3-4 weeks ago, I moved my guinea pigs into a new, larger cage. Since moving them in there, they have shown absolutely no interest in the cardboard and toilet paper rolls I leave around for them to chew on - they would go crazy for them in their old cage! Based on this, I was wondering what some safe, alternative things for them to chew on (that I'd either have lying around my house or could purchase) would be in order to continue promoting good oral health?

I live in the states, so a lot of the chews that available in pet stores are Oxbow brand, but obviously I can order things online as well.

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
They’re probably just not interested. You could put hay in a paper bag (handles cut off). Or there are the carrot cottages that go down well with many piggies. But I wouldn’t worry if they’re not chewing on the cardboard. My boys have cardboard hides (boxes) and haven’t been chewing on them much of late.

Robin_

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I’ve found most of my rodents don’t really go after stuff to chew. Your piggies should get plenty of good tooth wear from the hay in their diet alone. :)

I do happen to like apple stick chews, though. They look nice and some of my pets have given them a little try at least. Brand doesn’t matter.

Sweet Potato

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Guinea pig teeth grind down by rubbing together when they eat hay so as long as they have constant access to hay their teeth shouldn't overgrow. Other rodents such as hamsters, mice and gerbils that don't eat hay do require constant access to chews but guinea pigs do not. That said some guinea pigs are chewers or go through a bit of a chewing phase when they're young like my Gundham but he's happy enough to chew on some of his hides (willow bridges and a wooden hide that my sister made) I occasionally give him a couple of willow sticks or apple sticks from a friends garden if he's really been chewing a lot.

Shelley anne

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I put an un-sprayed apple tree branch in mine each week and they love chewing on this We have an apple tree but occasionally my husband sprays so when I know it is not sprayed for a very long time I get a large branch of it, chop it into 20cm pieces for the piggies and put them in the freezer until needed. They love chewing on the bark.