• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Wheat grass calcium

Hans123456789

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello, I noticed on the internet that wheat grass can be fed to guinea pigs instead of grass during the winter. But how about the calcium in this food, I tried to look but I didn't find how it is. I ask because I have a guinea pig that has bladder sludge problems, and she loves wheat grass

If your guinea pig has bladder sludge problems, do not give her wheat grass. It's generally a bad idea to give a guinea pig foods that contain higher amounts of calcium anyway. Even just one tablespoon of wheat grass contains 15mg (milligrams) of calcium. Stop giving your guinea pig wheat grass. Consider buying timothy hay instead. The extra money is worth it.

Thank you very much for your reply. I give them Timothy hay because the vet recommended it. I have also adjusted their diet, it's just that in the area where I live there aren't as many options where to buy the right vegetables, so they don't have as varied a diet, but I strictly avoid food with high calcium. Despite this, her bladder sludge problems come back from time to time.
I have one more question, is there any substitute for wheat grass ?

Thank you very much for your reply. I give them Timothy hay because the vet recommended it. I have also adjusted their diet, it's just that in the area where I live there aren't as many options where to buy the right vegetables, so they don't have as varied a diet, but I strictly avoid food with high calcium. Despite this, her bladder sludge problems come back from time to time.
I have one more question, is there any substitute for wheat grass ?

Most calcium comes into the diet via pellets and water (if you have hard water), not through veg.
Hay is the most important part
What veg do you feed them? You don’t need a varied diet as such, what you need is a good nutrition balance.
My four piggies only routinely get lettuce, cucumber, coriander and pepper. They can have other veggies if i have them in the fridge but it’s not often I do give them much other, it’s the basic daily four. These four provide a good mix of nutrients and of course hay is the main food source in any event.
One tablespoon of pellets per day is the recommended amount.

Also be aware that a diet which gets too low in calcium can also cause problems because the balance is out of kilter. Its about finding what is right for your piggy.

Last edited:
Back