• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Sarahbear7467

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I just brought home my baby Guinea pig 2 days ago. Not sure exactly how hold he is but my guess is he is 2-3 months. He started eating out of my hand an hour after being home, which I understand is quite fast. But is nervous when I go to pet him, jumps at any little noise I make and the 3 times I've had to pick him up he panicked alot. When should I start handling him and what's the best thing to keep him calm? I've had Guinea Pigs before but they had been previously owned and they were full grown so having a shy baby is new to me. I don't want to scare him.

You could use a tunnel or snuggle pouch to pick him up in. Are you going to get him a little companion? They do best with their own kind and can get very depressed own there own especially young ones? Can you take him for boar dating at one of our recommended rescues so he can choose a friend?

You could use a tunnel or snuggle pouch to pick him up in. Are you going to get him a little companion? They do best with their own kind and can get very depressed own there own especially young ones? Can you take him for boar dating at one of our recommended rescues so he can choose a friend?
Is there things I can do to keep him happy by himself? I'm not able to get another Guinea Pig. I did alot of research on caring for them before adopting him but nothing mentioned needing more then one. If I had known I would have prepared for two but my cage is only big enough for one and I cant afford the one big enough for 2.

Is there things I can do to keep him happy by himself? I'm not able to get another Guinea Pig. I did alot of research on caring for them before adopting him but nothing mentioned needing more then one. If I had known I would have prepared for two but my cage is only big enough for one and I cant afford the one big enough for 2.
As mentioned above, your piggy does need a friend, it will make him less anxious and healthier all round.
A good rescue will boar date him with a suitable friend, and will advise on cheap housing options. For instance a small cage inside a puppy pen giving free access to the pen can provide an excellent home for 2 boars at a cheap price.
It will save you lots of anguish in the long run.
It's not your fault that you were advised wrongly, unfortunately too many pet stores still give incorrect advice and sell inappropriate small cages.

19343F20-0517-49A5-9B4C-D0E255F95CD6.png
This is a flexible 5ft diameter puppy pen. It’s great for my 2 boars, you can put your cage inside it and there’s plenty of room for 2 piggies. You can buy them on eBay or amazon. It is waterproof and has a zipped top and bottom, water holder and zipped windows too. It folds away flat for travelling into a neat bag. Hope you can save for one of these they are not too expensive x

I tend to wait a few days before I try to pick up and hold a new piggies ( apart from taking them for their vet check.)
Phoebe was incredibly nervous and for a long time would only allow me to pick her up and hold her in a snuggle sack.
Even now she hates being picked up and held with a passion but is very happy to sit on the floor and be petted.
Please can we have pictures of your new piggy

How big is the cage you currently have? A single pig still needs a lot of space. As others have said, it's important that you do get piggy company for him. Human companionship doesn't compare.

It's going to be much harder to good and pet him when he's on his own as he'll feel more vulnerable. Guinea pigs are heard animals and can become depressed and not eat when on their own.
I'd be hesitant to try handling him for the first few days, let him settle in then start shooting beside the cage and then after he is calm with that put your hand in the cage but don't move it around, again wait till he's comfortable and progress from there.
You reals should have done some research before you got a pig as it's common knowledge that they need to be in pairs. How big is your cage?

Back