• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Megan2699

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi I’m new to the forum, just a query on what people’s opinions are over getting a pair of male piggies or females, the female pair in question are a couple of weeks older but the breeder says one of them is quite skittish. I’ll attach a photo.
I’ve only ever had females before but apparently males can fight more often and smell more? I’d be interested to hear peoples opinions
Thank you

Attachments

• 5752FE7A-A471-429B-B809-987979F724C6.jpeg
    5752FE7A-A471-429B-B809-987979F724C6.jpeg
    80.8 KB · Views: 25
To be honest now is not the time to be taking on pets. Vets are closed apart from emergencies and this may even change in coming weeks. Pet shops are open but it is becoming increasingly difficult to get supplies and again this might be affected in future weeks.

In terms of males vs females the biggest problem with purchasing from a pet shop or breeder is ensuring that the pigs have been correctly sexed and separated at an appropriate age so that you do not end up with pregnant females. Also we see a lot of people with issues around ringworm and other contagious conditions where piggies have been bred and shipped in large numbers and small spaces. Our advice would always be to make contact with a local reputable rescue Recommended Guinea Pig Rescues

Reputable rescues will ensure all piggies have been vet checked and any sows that may have been in contact with a boar will have been on pregnancy watch so there will be no unexpected surprises. The piggies will be properly bonded to ensure that you have a good match and you will have lifetime support from the rescue. Please bear in mind that all the rescues are presently closed to rehoming due to the lockdown as travelling out of home should only be for essentials at present.

To be honest now is not the time to be taking on pets. Vets are closed apart from emergencies and this may even change in coming weeks. Pet shops are open but it is becoming increasingly difficult to get supplies and again this might be affected in future weeks.

In terms of males vs females the biggest problem with purchasing from a pet shop or breeder is ensuring that the pigs have been correctly sexed and separated at an appropriate age so that you do not end up with pregnant females. Also we see a lot of people with issues around ringworm and other contagious conditions where piggies have been bred and shipped in large numbers and small spaces. Our advice would always be to make contact with a local reputable rescue Recommended Guinea Pig Rescues

Reputable rescues will ensure all piggies have been vet checked and any sows that may have been in contact with a boar will have been on pregnancy watch so there will be no unexpected surprises. The piggies will be properly bonded to ensure that you have a good match and you will have lifetime support from the rescue. Please bear in mind that all the rescues are presently closed to rehoming due to the lockdown as travelling out of home should only be for essentials at present.
Hi funnily enough these piggies are actually from one of the rescues you’ve listed! :) I’m aware of the current lockdown situation but was using the current time to prepare for new pets
Thanks for the advice I guess

You'll have to go with your heart there are positives and negatives to both genders. Males can fight and stink but mine do neither and boar cleaning is not as much of a faff as people make it out to be although it can be stinky. Females can have hormonal issues as they age and are prone to ovarian cysts meaning they may cost you a fair bit in vet bills when they're older. With females you always have the option of getting more but to be honest I'm thankful I have boys for this reason or my house would be overrun with pigs by now. When it came to picking out my piggies spud captured by heart instantly and I knew I had to get boys. Try to make the decision based on the personalities and characters that you fall in love with and not the gender.

Far to many boys get left in shelters because of the reputation boars have even when they are settled with their best friend and will live he rest of their lives getting along just fine.

Hi funnily enough these piggies are actually from one of the rescues you’ve listed! :) I’m aware of the current lockdown situation but was using the current time to prepare for new pets
Thanks for the advice I guess

Ok I am sure you will forgive me for the confusion as you referred to them as a breeder rather than a rescue. We have a strict no intentional breeding policy on this forum and none of the rescues that have been added to our list will be breeding. Though obviously some will have babies due to accidental pregnancies before they were taken to the rescue.

If you are in contact with the rescue it's always best to see which pair they think would suit your home life best rather than focus on male or female. Depending on the age of the males, if they have not yet been through their teenage stage, there is a potential to fall out and that would make me anxious but that's because I have never had males in pairs before. I know other members on here are more experienced with boars and it wouldn't worry them too much

I don’t find my boys fight a lot, nor do they smell too bad if the cage liner is kept clean and changed regularly. Whether guinea pigs fight is dependent on how well bonded they are.
I didn’t find the teenage stage too bad, at that time the two boys I had were Little and Honey, and honestly their bond could have been better. I got lucky in the sense that they did at least get on as I didn’t know what I was doing and just threw them both together not knowing the potential consequences of that. But, I didn’t find the teenage stage to be worse than any other time, as they got older - around 4/5, they definitely mellowed out a little and the dominant pig felt quite settled in his role so there was little need to show dominance unlike when they were younger i suppose. As I said, I don’t remember it being bad at all, and if it was it only lasts for a short period of time and it isn’t enough to deter me from getting boys again.
Now, the boys I have are Little and Peanut, and their bond is really good. They were bonded by one of the recommended rescues on here. They do still fight at times, it is usually in accordance with illness though. For example, the dominant pig went blind in one eye and so became more dominant as things were a bit more unfamiliar to him. Then the same pig also recently became quite ill/stopped eating etc and you could see there was a shift in hierarchy as the submissive pig began taking charge and instigating fights, once the dominant pig began to feel better there were then fights which he would instigate in order to reinstate his position as top pig. Nothing has ever been too bad though, just some telling off, a bit of chasing and nothing more.
Like I’ve said too, it is all bond dependent but you can expect guinea pigs to be dominant when their leadership is being threatened which can be when illness strikes or when there is a change in environment too.
I don’t think the fights or the smell should really factor in when deciding which pair to get. With girls, there is always the option of adding more, whereas boys have to be kept in pairs. Perhaps you could meet both pairs and decide on the day, go with your gut and who you bond with the most. That’s my very lengthy advice, anyway!

Edit: just to add in, i think boys definitely get a bad rep, I have no idea why though as my two are the most loveliest, cuddliest, inquisitive little things that I could ask for.

Choose with your heart. And also bear in mind how big a cage you can provide for them. Boars can fight and smell a lot, but it doesn’t apply to all of them. I don’t know why people keep tarnishing them with these brushes. I’ve got a pair of boars, which were my first piggies. I was planning for sows but fell in love with them. They’ve never fought and they can smell - like any piggy if you don’t clean them out regularly.

Go with your heart, I prefer boys if I have a choice, they are full of character and generally rather daft. I don’t think boys smell any different but I am nose blind. Boys can fallout but so can the ladies. Both sexes can get ill and both can give you lots of fun and pleasure x

Back