Why Does Beans Keep Doing This?

Beans&Toast

Forum Donator 2017/18
Reaction score
So after being spayed over 2 weeks ago, Toast's wounds on the top of her back are healing very well, but have left a bit of a scab (vet has checked it and happy it will just fall off). The past 4 or so days Beans has started to lick and gently bite the 2 scabs on Toast's back, she doesn't seem to mind too much and just runs off if she doesn't like it, but why is Beans doing this now? She's also started to chew Toast's hair that is growing back in after having been shaved from the op... is this Beans trying to help heal the wounds or something? Can and should I try to stop her?

Pound Shilling & Pig

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I would imagine Beans is just trying to clean the wound site, in the way they like to clean each others ears and eyes. I wouldn't worry too much but just keep a close eye on them.

RosieMaia

Forum Donator 2017/18
Reaction score
One of my pigs had an itchy dry patch on his skin due to a fungal infection. One of his cage mates was occasionally gently biting him there, which he appeared to enjoy - apparently she was scratching hit itch, as he wasn't able to reach it. I'm thinking that scabs itch when they heal - could it be that Beans is just scratching her friend?

VickiA

Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like Beans is just grooming Toast and trying to help clean the wound site. If the scabs are ready to drop off I am sure there will be no problem.