• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Worried About Weight Fluctuations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beans&Toast

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Okay so when I first got my girls about a year ago I used to weigh them weekly, but after months of staying the same I stopped (I realise now I shouldn't have)

Around October time Beans, who is roughly 2-3 years old ( not sure exactly as they're rescues) weighed 1160 grams.

Toast, who is roughly the same age, weighed 1130 grams.

After weeks of staying approx the same weight I stopped.

Today I decided to start weighing again..

Beans weighs 1140 grams, which is a loss of 20 grams since I first started weighing them.

Toast is now 1170 grams, a weight gain of 40 grams.

I so wish I had kept weighing them weekly to know when this occurred.
I could be completely wrong but I think this loss/gain has been gradual as I haven't noticed any worrying differences in their appetite/behaviour (I spend a lot of time watching them)

Should I be concerned about this?:(

Their weight can fluctuate a bit just by having a full/empty bladder. I personally wouldn't worry about these weight differences. If you're concerned then weigh them weekly at the same time and see if any patterns/changes occur. Then if you do notice something you can try and sort it. :)

One of my girls fluctuates 20-30g each week. Both up and down. X

Okay so when I first got my girls about a year ago I used to weigh them weekly, but after months of staying the same I stopped (I realise now I shouldn't have)

Around October time Beans, who is roughly 2-3 years old ( not sure exactly as they're rescues) weighed 1160 grams.

Toast, who is roughly the same age, weighed 1130 grams.

After weeks of staying approx the same weight I stopped.

Today I decided to start weighing again..

Beans weighs 1140 grams, which is a loss of 20 grams since I first started weighing them.

Toast is now 1170 grams, a weight gain of 40 grams.

I so wish I had kept weighing them weekly to know when this occurred.
I could be completely wrong but I think this loss/gain has been gradual as I haven't noticed any worrying differences in their appetite/behaviour (I spend a lot of time watching them)

Should I be concerned about this?:(

Up to 30g/1 oz can be just due to a fully/empty tummy and bladder, so it is nothing to worry about. Both weight changes are still in the OK range. Both weights are very healthy weights, anyway! :)

I would recommend to always weigh at the same time in the feeding cycle to exclude these fluctuations as much as possible. Just before their dinner is a good time, as both tummy and bladder tend to be empty.

You only need to start going on alert if the weight loss is over 50g/2 oz; switch to weighing daily. See a vet promptly if your piggy is either losing weight quickly or if it is a continuing slow drain of weight.
See a vet as an emergency if your guinea pig has lost over 100g/2 oz, especially from one day to another, as that means that it has not eaten or drunk in 24 hours and you need to step in with syringe feeding asap to keep the guts from closing down.
Should my piggie see a vet? - a quick guide
First Aid Kit For Guinea Pigs

Their weight can fluctuate a bit just by having a full/empty bladder. I personally wouldn't worry about these weight differences. If you're concerned then weigh them weekly at the same time and see if any patterns/changes occur. Then if you do notice something you can try and sort it. :)

One of my girls fluctuates 20-30g each week. Both up and down. X
Up to 30g/1 oz can be just due to a fully/empty tummy and bladder, so it is nothing to worry about. Both weight changes are still in the OK range. Both weights are very healthy weights, anyway! :)

I would recommend to always weigh at the same time in the feeding cycle to exclude these fluctuations as much as possible. Just before their dinner is a good time, as both tummy and bladder tend to be empty.

You only need to start going on alert if the weight loss is over 50g/2 oz; switch to weighing daily. See a vet promptly if your piggy is either losing weight quickly or if it is a continuing slow drain of weight.
See a vet as an emergency if your guinea pig has lost over 100g/2 oz, especially from one day to another, as that means that it has not eaten or drunk in 24 hours and you need to step in with syringe feeding asap to keep the guts from closing down.
Should my piggie see a vet? - a quick guide
First Aid Kit For Guinea Pigs
:agr: Stole the words out of my mouth :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back