• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

emmblavk

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone! Needing some advice, I have two male pigs at a year old and recently took on a female pig. Her previous owners are friends with my mum and went on holiday about a month ago and my mum volunteered for me to take care of her for two weeks, two weeks has turned into me now keeping her permanently, I could tell the moment i got her that she'd been neglected and wasn't at all comfortable in giving her back. After a lot of back and forth with her old owners it's finally been decided that she's better staying with me as I am better equipped to take good care of her and give her a better life. However, she's currently living alone and I feel awful for her.

I'm looking for advice on if i should get her neutered, or if i should get the boys done instead. She's approximately 3 years old and I don't really know much about her. I've spent the last couple weeks working on our bond, getting her weight up and making sure she's settled at least a little, she was a nervous wreck when she first came to me. But i feel like its now time to figure out the best course of action to get her sharing a cage with the boys so she isn't alone. Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.

This is also my first time taking care of a female so any advice on any special care she may need that i may overlook would be amazing. Thanks!

I would neuter your boars, though she’ll only be able to live with one so you’d need a companion for the other boar. Spaying a sow is much more invasive than a boar having his plums off, even though it’s mostly done keyhole now I think. I have had a boar neutered without any problems and my youngest boar will be neutered soon. I have only had females for about 9 months and they are a bit kicky if they don’t want to be picked up. All mine have different characters - a couple are quite stroppy and one won’t be bonded with a male at all, so just be aware that it doesn’t always work.
I think females can be more susceptible to urinary tract infections, one of mine has had a bladder stone which was recently manipulated out so didn’t need surgery (but did need a GA). Other than that, they’re much the same - though I’m sure other people will tell you different!

You can't have more than 2 boys with a female as they will fight over her so your options are to adopt a friend for her and leave your bonded boys as they are or neuter your boys and after the 6 week safety wait put one with this female and get another female for the other male too

I agree with @Lady Kelly

Given that you already have a pair of bonded males I would leave them as they are, and find a companion for your new female. This means no one needs to be neutered and you aren't breaking up a functional pair.

Hi everyone! Needing some advice, I have two male pigs at a year old and recently took on a female pig. Her previous owners are friends with my mum and went on holiday about a month ago and my mum volunteered for me to take care of her for two weeks, two weeks has turned into me now keeping her permanently, I could tell the moment i got her that she'd been neglected and wasn't at all comfortable in giving her back. After a lot of back and forth with her old owners it's finally been decided that she's better staying with me as I am better equipped to take good care of her and give her a better life. However, she's currently living alone and I feel awful for her.

I'm looking for advice on if i should get her neutered, or if i should get the boys done instead. She's approximately 3 years old and I don't really know much about her. I've spent the last couple weeks working on our bond, getting her weight up and making sure she's settled at least a little, she was a nervous wreck when she first came to me. But i feel like its now time to figure out the best course of action to get her sharing a cage with the boys so she isn't alone. Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.

This is also my first time taking care of a female so any advice on any special care she may need that i may overlook would be amazing. Thanks!

Hi and welcome

Unfortunately you cannot put two boars with any number of sows and expect them to get on all peacefully; what you are thinking about is pretty much a straight forward recipe for disaster!
Neutering takes only away the ability to make babies, but it does not curb their natural and social instincts and does not change their personality or behaviour in any way.
You can find detailed information on neutered boars and neutering operations in this link here: Neutered / De-sexed Boars And Neutering Operations: Myths, Facts and Post-op Care

Unfortunately, it is also NOT a good idea to keep any sows within sight and reach of pheromones of any bonded boars; whenever she comes into season, this can cause a fight/fall-out between your boys.
You can find all the dos and don'ts when it comes to boars and sows in this link here: A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars

As long as your boys are getting on well, please leave them as they are and do not rock the boat!

The best place for finding your new girl a suitable companion of her own choice is Ayr's Guinea Pig Rescue. You and your girl will be in safe hands there. It is one of the rescues we can vouch for. Thankfully it is within easy reach of Glasgow by car or public transport! Recommended Guinea Pig Rescues

The best place to

I agree with the advice given but wanted to say welcome to the forum and well done for rescuing this girl

Back