Baths And Boar Behavior

Paulaluvpiggy

New Born Pup
Reaction score
We have 2 boars one an adult not sure hos age as he was adopted as am adult and the other about 2 to 3 months old maybe. We bonded them and everything has been fine. They other day I bathe the adults bum and grease gland he had poo smoothed all around his bum area and stuck in thr. They other lil one has longer curly hair and hasn't smell right since we got him home light we was soaked in urine I thought living in a clean environment would clear itself up....but it didn't. He is white and grey but his feet were yellow and had stuff caked in between the pads! I bathed him paying attention to his feet and grade glad. Now however they have been fighting like crazy! Could the bath have caused a change in scent and caused a dominance issue to reimerge or could it be the lil ones age and just a coincidence? Would love some advice? Was thinking of wipeinf both with a damp cloth them rewiping both with the same cloth to spread both their scents on each other? Could that help?

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
We have 2 boars one an adult not sure hos age as he was adopted as am adult and the other about 2 to 3 months old maybe. We bonded them and everything has been fine. They other day I bathe the adults bum and grease gland he had poo smoothed all around his bum area and stuck in thr. They other lil one has longer curly hair and hasn't smell right since we got him home light we was soaked in urine I thought living in a clean environment would clear itself up....but it didn't. He is white and grey but his feet were yellow and had stuff caked in between the pads! I bathed him paying attention to his feet and grade glad. Now however they have been fighting like crazy! Could the bath have caused a change in scent and caused a dominance issue to reimerge or could it be the lil ones age and just a coincidence? Would love some advice? Was thinking of wipeinf both with a damp cloth them rewiping both with the same cloth to spread both their scents on each other? Could that help?

Hi! How old are your boys? A full-on bath and the removal of the group scent can upset boars unfortunately.

Please take the time to read these links. Please make sure that you also check the penis and anal sac. If a bad smell is very strong and persists, it may be worth having him vet checked.
Boars: Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?
Boar Care: Bits, Bums & Baths

Paulaluvpiggy

New Born Pup
Reaction score
They both smell fine now however they are still not getting along. I'm also afraid the little one may have mites and has infected the older one. I see shagz the lil one itching quite a bit and his hair seems thin on his lower back and behind ears he also. Where his hair is white it seems thin and you can see where it is parted and his skin looks very pink almost resin spots there are also scratches and scabs where I see him itch. Spencer the elder has started to itch too.. Could mites be making them grumpy and causing fallout?

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
They both smell fine now however they are still not getting along. I'm also afraid the little one may have mites and has infected the older one. I see shagz the lil one itching quite a bit and his hair seems thin on his lower back and behind ears he also. Where his hair is white it seems thin and you can see where it is parted and his skin looks very pink almost resin spots there are also scratches and scabs where I see him itch. Spencer the elder has started to itch too.. Could mites be making them grumpy and causing fallout?
Mites can make guinea pigs grumpy and not help a tricky relationship.

Please see a vet for a diagnosis. You always have to treat both guinea pigs as they can indeed transmit parasites to the other. Be careful; fungal infections (ringworm is just the most aggressive and well known) can cause very similar looking symptoms but require different treatment. it is not safe to diagnose online.
Guinea Lynx :: Parasites
Guinea Lynx :: Fungus