• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Bonded Boar Trouble

Keiko The Pig

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I need some advice. I have 2 healthy intact boars that just turned 1 year old in march/April. They've been together since April 2016 when I adopted a friend for my lone piggy.

Recently my white pig Milo has been squeaking up a storm for no apparent reason. This happens before feeding, after feeding, before floor time, after floor time, etc. It really is random. And when I say squeaking, I mean serious noise. The whole house can hear him, it's impossible to ignore. He'll only squeak about 3-4 times in a row before quieting down but I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions to limit this behaviour?

They always have access to fresh water and plentiful hay, I feed them oxbow adult pellets at the same time each day along with a variety of veggies. They get floor time and lap time each day.

I want to try giving Milo (the squeaker) some more one on one time with me perhaps but then my other pig, Keiko, gets very distressed and starts crying out for his friend the second I lift him from the cage. Keiko is obviously very closely bonded to Milo it seems, though they do rumble and have arguments most days. Nothing serious. Just some rumbling and maybe some teeth chattering but then Keiko will squeal in submission and they go back to living together peacefully. Any thoughts or advice is much appreciated as my family does not appreciate the piggy alarm at random times of day/night.

I'm not really sure how to stop it- not even 100% sure you can haha! But my little boar Steve squeaks very very loud at random times- he's happy it's not because they're fighting or anything. I think it's just he's really excited.

I'm not really sure how to stop it- not even 100% sure you can haha! But my little boar Steve squeaks very very loud at random times- he's happy it's not because they're fighting or anything. I think it's just he's really excited.
Thanks Any suggestions on the fact that Keiko freaks out if they're separated? Because Milo is more independent I think he may be crying for more attention then he's getting. He's the alpha pig and I'd be more than happy to give him some solo time in the spotlight (he can get jealous if people pay attention to Keiko) but I can't stand to hear Keiko cry even for the few seconds when I take Milo from the cage first for floor time

Thanks Any suggestions on the fact that Keiko freaks out if they're separated? Because Milo is more independent I think he may be crying for more attention then he's getting. He's the alpha pig and I'd be more than happy to give him some solo time in the spotlight (he can get jealous if people pay attention to Keiko) but I can't stand to hear Keiko cry even for the few seconds when I take Milo from the cage first for floor time
Do you hold and cuddle etc with Milo in the same room? If not then perhaps doing it where he can still see him and know he's there? My Steve doesn't get too worried but occasionally he'll squeak for Mo- at least I think it's for Mo- so I always cuddle my Mo in front of him. Or have both of them out so they are still together but only have Milo on your lap or the one being stroked. Perhaps giving Keiko a small handful of veges to munch through would show him that it's OK.

Thanks. I have tried the veggie distraction and I've sat literally outside the cage and Keiko will just not take being in the cage alone. I always take them out together but when they're together they kinda fight for lap space. They rumble and chase each other around a bit instead of just soaking up the attention I'd give them both

Back