• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Sammy3497

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello!
I adopted Charlie in February and he’s now a nearly fully grown boar. Knowing he needed a friend, about a month ago I adopted Wilber, a 3 month old boar.

After a three week quarantine, they met in a huge room. I had a blanket, hay, vegetables, and all the necessary items. At this point, I had introduced them to each others scents so they weren’t complete strangers.

After a few hours, Charlie finally stopped mounting Wilber and they were together in peace. Once they went into the fully cleaned cages with fresh everything, Charlie began to chase and mount Wilber again.

It’s been a week now and most of the time they’re fine, but occasionally both will rumble strut at each other. About once a day, teeth chattering occurs and they’ll lunge at each other.

I’m too afraid of messing up their progress to separate them, but I’m scared of the fighting.
They eat together and play, but they also fight. No blood has been drawn yet, thankfully, but I’m not sure how far this will go.
Any advice?

Thank you,
Emily

What they are doing just now is normal dominance, and they are still sorting out their hierarchy. Keep an eye on them and make sure they are both getting food and one's not being bullied. The links Betsy has given you will help a lot. Good luck.

Hello!
I adopted Charlie in February and he’s now a nearly fully grown boar. Knowing he needed a friend, about a month ago I adopted Wilber, a 3 month old boar.

After a three week quarantine, they met in a huge room. I had a blanket, hay, vegetables, and all the necessary items. At this point, I had introduced them to each others scents so they weren’t complete strangers.

After a few hours, Charlie finally stopped mounting Wilber and they were together in peace. Once they went into the fully cleaned cages with fresh everything, Charlie began to chase and mount Wilber again.

It’s been a week now and most of the time they’re fine, but occasionally both will rumble strut at each other. About once a day, teeth chattering occurs and they’ll lunge at each other.

I’m too afraid of messing up their progress to separate them, but I’m scared of the fighting.
They eat together and play, but they also fight. No blood has been drawn yet, thankfully, but I’m not sure how far this will go.
Any advice?

Thank you,
Emily

Hi!

Your two boys are still in the dominance phase of bonding (see the bonding guide for that and behaviours), but it is compounded by Wilber being at the beginning of his teenage months. Lunging is generally a defensive gesture meaning a very strongly worded 'stay away from me'.
You just have to ride the tiger and see how it goes. The teenage months happen in strong spikes and phases.

Bonding: Illustrated Dominance Behaviours And Dynamics
Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?

Thank you so much for the help!
How will I know that they just haven’t bonded? I’m not sure what to expect long term.

Thank you so much for the help!
How will I know that they just haven’t bonded? I’m not sure what to expect long term.

You will know exactly when you please read the links we have given you. They contain all the necessary information (behaviours to look out, what you can do to strengthen a bond/removing potential flashpoints), when you have to consider a bond failed, what you can do during the teenage months and what you need to look out for etc.

We cannot repeat it all in one post when it has taken me several days to write each guide. I can assure that they are all detailed step-by-step and very practical.

Back