• You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

Cage Help Needed; All Help Appreciated

DeityDeity

New Born Pup
Hi all, I have owned guinea pigs in the past but due to moving country I had to give them away... now i'm looking to get some more pigs; I have been searching for the past week for a cage that would house 3 guinea pigs and have struggled a great deal... I have managed to find a 5x2 c&c cage that measures 182 x 76 x 37 cm (l x w x h) for £80 and am wondering A) If it would be big enough for 3 male guinea pigs and B) if a cage that size is worth the price, all help is welcomed... thanks for reading :)

Swissgreys

Forum Buddy
I don't think a 5 x 2 would be big enough for 3 males pigs. This is the minimum size for 2 male pigs and not really recommended - where boys are concerned bigger is always better.
Plus trios of males seem to to be the least stable combination of piggies to keep, and chances of you ending up with a pair and a single piggy (or worse still 3 singles) are sadly very high.

Do you already own the guinea pigs?
If not I would seriously consider just getting 2 boys, as this has he greatest chance of a successful long term bonding.

A good guide to cage sizes is here:
Cage Size Guide

Piggy mum

Junior Guinea Pig
I don't think a 5 x 2 would be big enough for 3 males pigs. This is the minimum size for 2 male pigs and not really recommended - where boys are concerned bigger is always better.
Plus trios of males seem to to be the least stable combination of piggies to keep, and chances of you ending up with a pair and a single piggy (or worse still 3 singles) are sadly very high.

If not I would seriously consider just getting 2 boys, as this has he greatest chance of a successful long term bonding.

Cage Size Guide
I agree with Swiss greys- I have 3 males and had a 7x2 which i have had to extend and divide as I had a falling out and ended up with a pig being alone. Please get bigger or only get 2 pigs in case you end up like me! My boy is happy alone but it's not want I wanted to happen.

DeityDeity

New Born Pup

Cage Size Guide
nope, I have not yet bought anything, it's just a plan at this point, what size cage would you recommend for 2 males? as most places, I see online say 2x4 but on the guide given says 2x5

Lorcan

Adult Guinea Pig
nope, I have not yet bought anything, it's just a plan at this point, what size cage would you recommend for 2 males? as most places, I see online say 2x4 but on the guide given says 2x5
I currently have two 2x4 cages joined together for two 11 month old boars and I would personally recommend 2x5. The more space for boars, the better.

Swissgreys

Forum Buddy
It is brilliant you are doing your research first.
Sadly many places (including pet shops) simply recommenced cages in sizes that they stock, as opposed to what is actually suitable.
For 2 boars I would consider a 2 x 5 C&C as the minimum size, as the cage guide line I linked to above is far more honest than information you might receive elsewhere.

I have to say that when i first got my guinea pigs their cage seemed ridiculously large, but now I am constantly on the looking out for ways to make it bigger! They will use and enjoy as much space as you have to offer.

A great explanation of why they need so much space is here:

Why So Big? - C&C Cages for Guinea Pigs

DeityDeity

New Born Pup
Thanks a lot, everyone! given me a lot to think about, my final question is where should I buy c&c cages? Most places I see are severely overpriced but there is a 5x2 for £80 that I'm considering picking up!

Member AR6

Junior Guinea Pig
I got my grids from eBay, it was 2012 but they were under £40 and used a £2 tarpaulin. Used the correx at first but I had bought the thin correx and so it didn't seem as good as the thicker that I should have bought. With the tarpaulin being cheap from a well known cheap home shop I could afford to change it a couple of times a year.